STC issues surrounding holes in drywall for wiring

darwin

What are your tips maintaining the STC rating in a wall when holes are cut in the drywall to allow audio cable or AC outlets to interface with the interior of the studio?

I assume that caulking would be done. Also, is it common practice to fill the gang boxes with insulation? Obviously, the insulation wouldn't be faced because of the increased fire risk with AC outlets.

Thanks in advance

There's a couple of ways to do this:

Don't put any outlets on an exterior wall if you can avoid it. If it can't be avoided, put the outlets in a furr down thats along the exterior wall.

If you have a common wall, say between the drum room and the vocal booth, that shouldn't pose a problem because what are the chances the drum room AND the vocal booth will be in use at the same time?

Likewise, common walls between the kitchen and the live room is a good place, because no ones going to take a beer break while tracking is going on and "tape" is rolling.

If you have dual walls for isolation then you still have sheathing/airspace/sheathing before you get to the studs, and ultimately the outlet on the other side.

Seal around the gang box as best as you can, and also seal around the cover plate.

The main thing I think, is try not to put them on an exterior wall.

Craig - it's been my experience that that expanding foam stuff has zero STC. Much better to caulk seal the hole.

cheers
john

Thanks for the input folks. I had read before about the foam stuff behaving like a conductor of sound not an absorber. This is my current understanding of what I should do. The gang boxes should be wrapped with insulation on the sides and the backs. I suppose some silicone caulk where the cable enters the gang box wouldn't hurt either. Next, would be to caulk and tape the two intersections of gang box and drywall. There are two intersections because there is a double layer of drywall. I guess that I could also put those little plastic child-proof AC fillers in outlets that weren't in use. How does my understanding of resolving this issue sound?

Back