staggered studs?

jimistone

long standing member
the building that im going to finish into a project studio is already framed (2x4's), the studs are not staggered. to have staggered studs i would have to run another 2x4 along the cieling and the floor and basically re-frame the inside walls all the way around...this will greatly raise the cost of doing the studio. Is there any way to attatch drywall to the existing framwork (studs will be conected to both walls)... maybe using felt or rubber grommets between the drywall and the stud? Im kind of new to this and don't know whether doing that would make alot of difference in the final soundproffing.

my studio will be right off a highway and they have installed speed breakers (not the big high one....the 3 rows of small ones...the real noisy fuckers)

so the noise i have to deal with is cars and trucks hitting the speed bumps on one side of the highway and cars and truck starting off from a dead stop on the other side of the road (3 way stop right past the speed bumps)

the building is zoned comercial property but there are a few neighbors. so far with just myself and the drummer friend we have had no complaints, but we don't get real loud. (the highway noise is louder than we are). But if we want to get a metal band in there to cut some tracks i don't want the cops to be called , so i do want some soundproffing from the inside out as well.
thanks

thanks for the tip darrin. Im with you on the pipe insulation but you lost me on the "black stuff you use on copper" ...im not sure what your talking about.

Its the rubber stuff shaped like a tube it wraps arround the copper pipes. Just make a linear cut and you have 12' of it to put between your studs and your Gypsum

ok i got you now. I misread your post and thought you said "pipe insulation AND the black stuff you use on copper"

will doing this help with soundproofing?

Back