Should i sound treat my Window?

adamangler

please help...

i have a 10ftx10ft room with a ceiling height of 7ft 4"

i plan to bass trap all corners and first reflection points

the only thing im unsure of is a large window situated on the wall behind my mix position, its about 7ft x4ft and pretty much central to the wall

do i bass trap it or is the window a good thing because low freq just pass thru anyway?

As long as its not rattling or anything, its personal preference. If it was me I'd sound proof the window, it's what i did to mine. Gave me such a tight sound, but everyone is different.

ok thanks, whatever i do it wont be permanent because this is my bedroom, the plus side to treating it would be to lower traffic noise for recording vocals.
my idea is to make up some 6" traps to fit the window frame with a handle on to remove and store away....

I just wondered with it being a small room is the window actually helping the acoustics?, and will a trap make it, well, more boxy?

Given how close it is to you in a small room I'd hang some thickish removeable foam to cut down on reflections, this will let the bass hit the window still and some of it will pass thoguh, improving any bass problems you might have a little. Put anything too heavy in the aperture and you will probably make the bass issues in the room worse.

But first of all, if you have curtains, close them, see what that does to the sound. Wooden blands cna be quite effective as well. I have a very dimensionally imperfect room but it has a huge window behind the speaker position and this definitely helps the overall sound.

You'll get a lot of sound reflection from the window as well as external sound transmitted in through it.
If you're building bass traps do what you suggested but ensure that use the right grade & depth ofrockwool or similar that will absorb/trap bass.
I have an enormous window in my recording space that I try to treat with very, very heavy, thick curtains but it doesn't do much at all. I'm not in a position to do much else with it at present. I'd love to have pull in/out traps to fit the jams.
I sometimes use the glass deliberately for an odd room effect BUT in reality a big window is a big pain (pun intended) that needs to be neutralized.
If you look at most decent HR studios & prof studios you'll see that they use traps etc behind the monitoring speakers rather than add to the already difficult acoustics by using glass.
Traps won't make the room boxier IF you set up the room properly. It will make the room more inert. If you want a 'live" room get lots of hard surfaces & strip the floor to boards etc. That will give you al; sorts of unplanned and untamed reflections and "room" sound.

Given how close it is to you in a small room I'd hang some thickish removeable foam to cut down on reflections, this will let the bass hit the window still and some of it will pass thoguh, improving any bass problems you might have a little. Put anything too heavy in the aperture and you will probably make the bass issues in the room worse.

But first of all, if you have curtains, close them, see what that does to the sound. Wooden blands cna be quite effective as well. I have a very dimensionally imperfect room but it has a huge window behind the speaker position and this definitely helps the overall sound.

Sorry last sentance should say 'overall sound on the bass register'

thanks guys....

Its not for live use, just mixing and vocal recording.

That's a pretty small room. Be careful not to make it too dead. You may be doing more than you need with a room of your dimensions.
Make sure to take measurements along the way to make sure your not killing the room
Cj

Back