Room layout ideas for mixing (No live except vocals, acoustic and direct the rest).

wmalan

Attached is my current room layout. Thinking I will need to move the bed and put the workstation under the window. But, am I missing out on the sloped ceiling line? Maybe just slide it over and block the dormer window area? I think those are about the only ways that would work. All the other wall have doors and closets. Would need some heavy curtain for to block the dormer?

Thanks.

Bill

Towards the 'Dormer window would center you left/right better and get you some distance from a hard right wall reflection.
Opening the two closets behind might actually help break the room up as well.

I would advise setting up against the window, centered in the room. So turn your setup 90 degrees to the right and center along that wall.
I wouldn't recommend going in front of the dormer as that would likely have a huge bass resonance which would not be good at all. Thick curtains are completely invisible to any bass frequencies, so there'd be no point.
If you went ahead with treatment for the space, you'd probably need the one on your right side to be on a stand because of the closet door, but I think you'd need at least one or two panels on stands no matter your orientation in the room.

Well I was leaning to under the window but thought maybe the ceiling line was of benefit centered at the dormer.
I think under the window will be it.

BTW, looking at buying the Yamaha hs80's. They have rear facing ports. Thinking I'll have to keep a bit of distance from the window and set a bass trap in there as well? Or go for ones with a front facing port?

Bill

Even with a rear firing port, I don't recommend having your monitors in the 12" - 36" mark in the room. Either keep them within a foot of the window, or far away (obviously not possible in this room to have them far). Bass trapping between the front wall and the speaker would give you more freedom, but would much rather see you treat the corners and first reflection points in the room first. You can use the following as a guide for treatment: Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics

Alex, yes the bass traps in the corners and first reflections are a must. Wasn't sure about the monitor rear port and proximity to the front wall. Yes, close will work the best for me. Appreciate the help!

Bill

Back