Rack plans

girvan

Hi,
I am designing a rack and thought I'd attach it here if anyone would like it.
This will accommodate my Mackie 1604 on the top (10 space) with 9 space on the slant and 6 underneath.

As soon as I can scrounge $50 together for a sheet of 3/4 birch I'll build it and post some pics.
rack.jpg

Sketchup 7 file:
http://www.girvanmedia.com/studio/rack.skp

Peace.

I started building this last night. I feel that maybe it's a bit too high. Actually quite a few more rack spaces in the design than I have gear for. Oh well, just have to fill it up.

Put some drawers in the extra spaces, or a shelf to put stuff on. You'll always find stuff to fill it up.

It's not a bad idea to leave a space between the rack mount gear, especially if it's tube gear or anything else that gets hot.

I made my rack (ugly but works very well) using only two 2 x 2's mounted vertically on a piece of plywood. The rack stuff mounts to the 2 x 2 's and there's no sides, top or back - it's completely open and that lets the heat out.

Heat and access are two grumpies when you're making this stuff.

Good points. Thanks.

Yeah I'm gonna build it as designed, adding casters though. I'm going to use hardwood rails instead of spending $ on real rails. Once the gear is in there it won't need much moving.

Hi folks,
Finished up the rack last night. Turned out ok. First time trying a build like this. A few glue spots here and there but overall it works good, looks good and is done. Cost me $50 for plywood, $20 for 4 wheels, $10 for edging and $20 for screws. There is leftover plywood and lots of screws. I had the stain but that would be another $10 - so around $100 all in.

Attachments

• rackus.jpg
    rackus.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 258
Back