Q(estion) for J(ohn) 'bout B(affles)

sjoko2

Yo! Bretheren!
Like your thoughts on this one:

I originally build one large baffle for the main tracking room, dimensions:
4'2" high - 6'2" long - 8" deep frame, to accept a 6' x 4' core.

The current core is a high density pressed panel, and the intention was to line this with diffusion material on both sides.

Now this creates 2 problems:
1. The core makes the whole friggin thing as heavy as a tank and hard to move.
2. I don't need a core with a high STC rating.
3. I mainly need absorbsion - accross a wide frequency range.

The baffle is the largest one in the tracking room. Altough its use will be multi purpose, its key function / position will be in front of a drum booth (*note). Its closest adversaries will therefore be kicks and toms.

*note:
- The drum booth is a 10' x 10' x 9' straw lined enclosure, with a "poored-in-place" rubber floor and an open front (into the main tracking room).
- The booth has a hinged 4'4" x 8'4" roof section, which can be raised or lowered in order to vary the acoustics.
- It has been designed to allow for effective close-milking of drums and percussion with minimum interference for each microphone.
- The open front leading into the high volume tracking room allows for the capture of ambiance.
- Adjustment of the hinged roof varies the ambiance from moderate to huge sounding.

The baffle's key function is to further reduce sound transmission from the booth to the tracking room.
I therefore thought a kind of slot construction might be best? Perhaps with variances in the slot spaces to allow for effectiveness accross a wide range (lower ranges are BY FAR the most important here!!).

If you think - really this should be kind off a 'carry about' trap :)

Suggestions very welcome, as my brains are fried from building anything, designing anything - ever again. I'm cured - positive, really, I mean it. I'll do it different next time. Next time? WHAT next time? I'll still do it different next time.

ehhhhhhhh remember that conversation we had Mr. Sayers? When I had just started? Me explaining I just really wanted to do it all myself? I'M A NUT!!!!
This does not mean nobody should build their own studio, absolutely not!! I have saved myself a very large 6 figure sum and got it exactly the way I want it (I think). And it sounds sooooooooo good.

PS Uru is getting loads of Cali radio play :)
another PS In January I will startg to make drum sound samples, to set some template sounds for the room, with Aynsley Dunbar and DW drums - I promise I'll post some stuff

Last edited:
Wow John!! Thanks a million for that! The broadband low-mid was exactly what I was after. There is already a lot of low end trapping in this room (in the roof)

I can remove the core entirely without a problem, as the frame has 8 steel corner reinforcements.
I think I will vary the plank and slot widths.
One thing I'd like to try. I have some nice 1/4" birch finishing ply, so what I could do is instead of having 2 peaces of ply running at angles, I could have a continuing arch. Might be interesting to see what that would do, as one side would have a lot of debt in the center - the other side debt at both ends.

Thanks again :)

Back