my soon to be studio

Walter Tore

We are converting our 2 car cinderblock garage to my new studio. I am currently in the basement in a 12'x12' room. I am a live 1 man band (guitar, drums, harmonica, keys, all played at once) and this has made my little room almost impossible to move in. Now I will have a 25'x25' space with a 8' ceileing, central air/heat, full bath and kitchen.

I am approaching this set up for my needs. I play the drums very quietly with my feet and my overall sound is no louder than strumming an acoustic guitar. I am told I am an eccentric (I think I am normal and the rest of the world a bit strange :) ) and have no interest in a control room and heavy sound deading. I have 4 - 6'x3' wood framed rock wool filled baffles that can slide around if I need them. I have built isolation panels around my bass drum, snare, and ride cymbal. They allow for some bleeding which I like. My goal is to capture my music as it would sound in a nice club. I am leaving the concrete floor and sheet rocked walls for natural reverb. I know this goes against what a real studio is about, but I have learned to work with such a set up in my current studio set up - 2 walls sheet rock, 2 cinderblock, concrete floor, and acoustic tile ceiling and love natural reverb. I am most excited about having more space to mess around with acoustics and mic placements. I will use the bathroom to house the guitar amp. I use a princeton reverb with a thd hotplate so the volume is very quiet. I am looking forward to messing with the acoustics of the tile floor and shower/tub.

Here are some pictures of the construction so far. It should be done in a few weeks. Walter
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/waltertore/tunnel of dreams studio construction/

Last edited:
Back