Movable panels

Stan Williams

I record most everything direct, but vocals and acoustic guitar. What i want to do is build 2 or 3 movable panels covered in auralex foam, to build a semi vocal booth. Is this a waste of time or would I get some improvement in sound. The room i'm recording in is a 10 x 12 with sheetrock walls, 8 ft. ceiling.
Thats it !

I think its a fine idea Stan - when you are not using them as a booth you can put them on your walls to treat the room.
It will make a big difference to your recorded sound. :)

cheers
John

Stan,You just gave me the solution to the problem that has been driving me nuts.That is a great idea for those of us that cant afford to put Auralex throughout the whole room/studio.
Thanks,Ginzoo

panels

Hey ginzoo, i wonder if there is a panel, 3/4 in thick maybe, that would be stiff enough to stand up with just some kind of feet at the bottom, that would also take the place of studio foam? Seems like John Sayers posted something about compressed fiberglass, what about it John?

Hey guys
The name of the panels that I bought is"Tuff Stuff".Got it at Lowes{the local home improvement place}.It is 1/2" thick and its supposed to be used as an outside insulation barrier.Very stiff/strong.I think if I put Auralex on one side of each panel and attached it to two feet/stands it would make a great moveable panel that would be strong enough to stand on its own.
Ginzoo

I have a pair of gobos each made from 2 sheets of 2'x7'x½" compressed particle board connected with hinges. They're pretty sturdy if you stand them at a 90º angle. I pulled these out of the garbage at a hi end audio store many years ago.
They have a shiny laminate material (kinda like counter-top formica) on one side. This laminate actually covered both pieces and is what originally held them together. That's why they were in the junk. One had been broken (they chucked both, though) ... so I took them both and then added the hinges. They still work very well.
There's cotton batting (I think) covered with black fabric attached to the other side. You can flip them around if you want a more live sound or a more dead sound. Pretty cool.
I've been thinking of making another pair for myself. I'd probably use a long piano hinge to connect them this time (or maybe even a vinyl barrier like SheetBlock as the 'laminate'), plus auralex or equivalent foam instead of the batting.
Good luck.

Back