Looking for advice on repairing monitors

Layla Nahar

Hello,

I got a hand-me-down pair of Edirol Micro Monitors. the sound has gotten pretty muddy but at one time they sounded really great.

I am thinking of getting some woofers at partsexpress.com, & replacing the worn out ones.

I'm looking for advice about what pair of woofers to get. I'm willling to go as high as $40 for each, but if there is some thing that would be really great but cost less, I'd like to go for that. the specs say "15 watts per channel"

some of the makes available for 4" woofer are: Peerless, Dayton, Tang Band, Vifa & Goldwood.

I'm also looking for advice/opinions about the feasibility of this project.

I think the tweeters will be harder to replace. Are tweeters are less prone to damage than woofers? Maybe they sound ok, but the woofers are so nasty now I can't tell

If anybody can offer some guidance, I would really appreciate that!
This is what they look like: http://www.roland.com/products/en/MA-10DBK/index.html

LN
(If this is the wrong place for this post, let me know & I'll move it!)

Last edited:
hmmm... well i was gonna suggest that the reason it sounds muddy is the tweeters are roached...

thanks for your response :)

well - it's hard to know what is the right word to describe the sound - but i got through to parts express, and I found some little woofers to give a try. (Dayton ND90-8 3-1/2" Aluminum Cone Full-Range Driver 8 Ohm)

about the tweeter - I had the idea that those are less likely to bad than the woofers because woofers move more. In the worst case scenario, I have 45 days to return, if the monitors still sound awful. At least I will have tried. I alway prefer to fix something rather than throw it away

well i cant say which it is here without hearing it but as a generality... tweeters are WAY more likely to blow than woofers...

You need to replace the drivers with the replacement parts from edirol.
Buying drivers after the fact is a crapshoot - the cabinets and crossovers were designed to work with specific parameters from the drivers - if you don't have access to those numbers, then who knows what kind of results you will get.
"Looks Like" is not the same as "Replacement Part".
Cheers
Chris

Back