Help treat/change my new studio..

bleyrad

Keep in my my drawing is NOT TO SCALE - just whipped it up in Paint.
Any tips at all would be very appreciated. I have no idea how to tackle this beast.
In case you're wondering, it's the top (office area) floor of an industrial warehouse unit.
The small stairs (marked with a red dot) indicate a 1-foot floor raise to the live area. The purple dot is where I'm considering adding a control-room window.
The indicated dimensions are all that I have currently measured. Not sure about the measurments on any other walls yet.

Main problems:

1) No idea how to position my monitoring setup. The 66" wall/windows area would seem practically ideal but it is just too small.

2) Don't need two bathrooms. Seems like wasted space, but I have no idea what I could do with either of them.

3) Live room sounds like shit. Enormous slapback due to parallel gyprock walls. Thin carpet on the floor (which I will eventually replace with Pergo), "acoustic tile" in the hanging ceiling, which I will likely soon replace with 703. But what do I do about the walls?

Also I was using Ethan's room mode calculator but I'm unsure if I should be entering the false ceiling (8ft) or the real ceiling (10ft). In any case, there does seem to be quite a buildup of modes in either one, I'm guessing due to the similarily divisible dimensions. I don't hear any bass problems in the room when I'm there, but that's probbaly just because I concentrate on hearing all that shitty slapback.

Any other suggestions about any other issues you may see would be appreciated.

Attachments

• room1.jpg
    room1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 201
ok, Bill Park has suggested some changes that would make the space look like this. let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• room2.jpg
    room2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 181
Here is another idea though paint is not the best program for this. You should try and grab one of the demoware programs like SmartDraw and do a scale drawing to make life easier.

Cheers
Kevin.

Attachments

• bleyrad.gif
    bleyrad.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 169
Thanks, I like it. Acoustically yours is probably the best choice but there are a number of problems:

- Live Room's quite small

- Stairs don't work. There needs to be an extra set of stairs going UP that last foot to the live area, not down to the lounge.

- Putting in that many new walls is a lot of work, maybe more than I'm prepared for, and it also cuts down on my available space.

In any case I'll be going in and taking more measurements soon, and making a proper drawing which will probably help people get a better grasp of this place. I do like your idea though!

here's a proper scale drawing of the room as it currently is.

Attachments

• room1scale.jpg
    room1scale.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 112
and here's a quick sketch adaption of your idea into the drawing in a way that would mostly work.

only problem is, i'd like to open up that staircase landing area by taking out the walls and just putting in handrails on the higher level, to make the live space SEEM a bit bigger... however, the door at the bottom of the staircase leads straight outside, which means whenever someone opens it, all the exterior noises are going to be coming into the live room.

Make sure the bathrooms are insulated so you don't pick up any flushing sounds during your demos!

Back