hanging sound proofing sphere

smcbutler

hi all.

i need to get some sound proofing on a single vocal mike in my apartment. i don't have the space for a vocal booth and i tried hanging a coat from a chain over the mic this morning and it worked great! so now i'd like to find some kind of "half sphere" like enclosure lined with acoustic around the mic and either attach this to the mic stand or hang it off a chain attached to the ceiling.

does anyone have any tips for building/buying this?

thx in advance, -simon-

Also, if you do this remember that if you use a cylinder, such as an industrial paper barrel, that technically a cylinder is just an infinite number of parallel walls with the same resonant frequency. Better off with something conical, or elliptical, or why not just walk into the closet? Lotta vocals cut just that way... Steve

I was thinking... if it was conical, or elliptical, well, wouldn't the effect be the oppsite of what you're after, and act kinda like a megaphone? or a parabolic dish?
I dunno.
Maybe build one yourself this way:
Think of a pyrimid (4 sided), cut the top of (the pointy end) about 1/3 down the way, then cover that hole. You could make it out of cardboard and duct tape, and just line it with auralux.
OR: Take the pole out of an umbrella... see where I'm heading?

I dinno, the deeper this gets the more I wanna just walk into the closet (no, idiot, with a MICROPHONE...) :=) look at all the time you could be practicing whatever instruments you play... Steve

an umbrella?

thats kind of interesting.. thats exactly the kind of creative thinking i was hoping for!! thx!!

as far as size goes i think the size of a large umbrella would be about right.

unfortunately i live in a loft and there aren't any closets handy that i can use.

anyone else have an alternative to the umbrella idea?

thx again, -simon-

Refrigerator boxes lined with packing blankets?

or

Hoola hoops.....

You could also assemble a frame in any shape you want by using 1" PVC pipe and using a mixture of different angled joint fittings. You could probably assemble an entire frame with dimensions of about 4' sq. for $20 or so. If you don't glue the joints it could be broken down and re-assembled anywhere/anytime you want.

Darryl.....

Bed clothes

For a long while I got by with two boom mic stands and a duvet (quilt or whatever you call them outside the UK!). Attach two corners of duvet to mic stands, third corner to wall (drawing pins or nail). It forms a kind of triangular droopy canopy and works an absolute treat. VERY ugly indeed, however.

You should get a prettier duvet...

"I don't practice, I play." Yeah, but playing is just perfect practice, which is what we all should do. The only difference between "practice" and "playing" SHOULD be, the speed at which you do it. Otherwise, you're just learning how to make mistakes FASTER... :=)

Back