Guitar amp in a walk in closet

JG96

So I record with my band at my drummers house, the other day I realized that there is a walk in closet attached to the live room. I thought that it may be possible to throw an amp in there and record it live with the drums and a DI'd bass track. This closet is about 4 feet by 6 feet and the ceiling is most likely 10 or 12 feet. There are wooden shelves full of shoes and racks of clothing off to the sides. The floor is carpeted. Would a room like this be useable for recording a 1X12 combo? When close micing an amp do acoustics have a large enough impact to hinder the recording. Could the issue be minimized by surrounding the amp with pillows and blankets?

Why not try it and see if you like the sound you get?
What have you got to lose.
The room will almost certainly play a part in the recording but if your close mic'ing it may be less pronounced.

Good point :) should I put the amp in there and mic it up or just take a listen acoustically?

I've done this same thing before and it works quite well. As always, the end sound result is at your discretion but I experimented with a few optional mic placements and got a really nice result. I eventually renovated that "closet" (8'x4'x8') into an isolation boot with a double glass door and heavily insulated walls and ceiling and it functions very well. Does the trick for me.

Play on!

The typical distance of a close mic is usually close enough to ignore many acoustic distortions, though some resonances can still be picked up from the room. I would agree that it would be best to try, but I'm quite sure recording 2" from a speaker would ignore most room effects.

Back