Grade my setup

2001n4ever

2001n4ever said:
I dont have a picture, its a real simple set up though. The acoustics are good so do not worry about that aspect.

Basically its a Neumann TL 103...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Neumann-TLM-103-Condenser-Microphone?sku=271397

And an Mbox2 mini...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498

I am just using it for hiphop vocals.

Please use this grading scale

A+ = Perfect!
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F+
F
F- = Turd sandwich

And were supposed to go by two items in your studio to grade if its perfect or not :S

I grade this thread : F

Yep, you're definitely getting an incomplete. I'll give you an extension, but if you can't complete the assignment by monday, I'll have no choice but to give you a failing grade.

2001n4ever said:
Basically I wanted to know how well the Neumann quality will be kept in the preamp of the Mbox2 mini.

Then you should have said so...

Spending all that money on a Neumann is a good idea if you are planning on getting a decent preamp in the future. I would highly recommend getting a decen preamp for it, the Mbox pre will not give you the best of that mic by any means.

I won't bust your chops, it's just that things look a little out of balance here.

The mic gets an A, the pre-amp a D+, over all a C. You could still get a "C" by using a Behringer mic and the same preamp. The problem is that the entire signal chain (and you mentioned the room) is only as good as the weakest link. Nice mic though...real nice.

The next thing I'd be dying to know, is what's your listening environment like? Monitors, playback stuff etc. A recording you may think is excellent may not be or visa versa. It's a huge balancing act. A great recording starts with the talent, passes through the equipment and is managed, operated, mixed-n-fixed by the recording engineer. The captured material is then passed to a listening environment and finalized by a mastering engineer. Skip, skimp or otherwise compromise any one of those steps and you no longer graduate with honorable mention.

It's like buying 20" chrome spinners for a 1990 Isuzu.

punkin said:
I won't bust your chops, it's just that things look a little out of balance here.

The mic gets an A, the pre-amp a D+, over all a C. You could still get a "C" by using a Behringer mic and the same preamp. The problem is that the entire signal chain (and you mentioned the room) is only as good as the weakest link. Nice mic though...real nice.

The next thing I'd be dying to know, is what's your listening environment like? Monitors, playback stuff etc. A recording you may think is excellent may not be or visa versa. It's a huge balancing act. A great recording starts with the talent, passes through the equipment and is managed, operated, mixed-n-fixed by the recording engineer. The captured material is then passed to a listening environment and finalized by a mastering engineer. Skip, skimp or otherwise compromise any one of those steps and you no longer graduate with honorable mention.

It's like buying 20" chrome spinners for a 1990 Isuzu.

I am not doing any mixing whatsoever. The recording environment is great though. I just wanted to know how that combination works out.

2001n4ever said:
The acoustics are good so do not worry about that aspect.

can you go into this a bit more? i can't grade with incomplete knowledge.

You might want to consider getting a better preamp that has s/pdif outputs so that you can bypass the mbox mini converters too..

2001n4ever said:
I am not doing any mixing whatsoever. The recording environment is great though. I just wanted to know how that combination works out.
Its fine. Its a nice mic.

can you post some samples of your work? ... or link us to some that you've posted with this combo? I'd be interested to hear the results, especially if you've got something that you haven't sonically altered after the fact.

Back