Equipment List & Studio Questions

Landie

I would like to know what are some of the hourly rates being charged at some your studios? Is any one willing to share a sample Recording studio contract? I would also like see some of your equipment lists.I know, next I'll be in need of your blood!!! I'm simply trying to get idea of where to begin with good business recording practices. How do you compete aside from good technical ability.
My Equipment List
Computer
400Mhz PII 128M Ram
WD 10.2G HD WD 6.4G HD
Scsi Card
Jaz Drive
Zip Drive
Cdrw
36X CDRom
2port Midi card
Acer Sound Card
Software
Cakewalk Pro Audio 8.04
Roland VS880 EX with sound fx card
Technics RS TR252 Cassette Deck
Sony CD Player
VSX 501 Pioneer Receiver
Alesis 3630 compressor
Lexicon Alex
Dod 430 Series II Eq
Layla sound card
Emu Planet Phatt Sound Module
Korg X3
Roland Jx 305
Art Tube MP
2 Akg 240K Head Phones
Akg C3000s Mic
Bose Speakers
I know that I don't have all of the proper equipment, such as good monitors and a dedicated amp but the quality is still good. Please no laughter, I'm learning.

[Edited by Landie on 10-29-2000 at 02:15]

Regarding your sample contract:
The Mix Bookshelf (from Mix Magazine) floppy disk called "The Business" has sample contracts for just about every eventuality in the music business. Its cheap and I have found it invaluable over the years.
Having it on a floppy is good - just load it on your puter and you'll have every template, and can change them to suit your needs.

Sjoko,

Did you purchase "The Business" on the internet or from the magazine? Thank you for your response.

Landie

I bought it through mix online store about 3 years ago, together with the mix reference disk.
The reference disk is also an invaluable tool, I carry it with me all the time. Always good to sweep a room before you start working.
Regarding hourly rates, they vary enormously, from $50 for recording a quick demo to 4 figures.
The average for a "home studio" here seems to be about $100 a day. For a slightly decent place with control room, tracking room(s) recording on something like pro tools the average is about $300 per day, record on 2" and it goes up to $350 to 400.
My own place's rates are difficult to say, as we have a production company and work mainly with our "own" artists.
We have some external projects booked, like in February next year I'm recording 6 songs for a movie sound track, for which we charge $20k.
It is important to realize that your rates depend largely on your reputation. If you do a consistant very good job, you will get a reputation - reputation = $$$
Also important to realize that if you do it just for the money, you'll never get anywhere. You've got to love it with all your heart and soul, never be satisfied with the results of your work, and always look for ways to improve.
Don't expect to get rich from owning a studio, no matter what size it is. $$ = more money to invest on gear, if you're not prepared to do that, forget it.
Finally - and then I'll stop preaching - use logic and common sence. Don't work with artists if you don't like their music, look for people you want to work with, who's music you dig. That way your chances of doing a good job are much better.

Thank you all for your good advice. My brother and I will be combining our studios in about 4 months. He's retiring after 20 years in the Navy. We tried not to step on each other in terms of purchasing equipment. We however purchased compatible formats. He has the dedicated amp, mics, yamaha NS10 Monitors, acoustic instruments, keyboards and sound modules. Nothing like a brother and sister team huh? I will upgrade Cakewalk to 9.0.

Back