Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this enough for sound absorption and diffusion?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    This is how the inside of his booth is treated. I don't know how much of this was already part of the booth itself and how much he put in (maybe only the bass traps? Not sure).

image0-jpg image3-jpg image4-jpg

Thanks
    Yes those 'holey' panels are to diffuse the sound waves. They break them up so any sound is easily absorbed and not bouncing back strongly towards the microphone.

Basically most materials will absorb sound to a greater or lesser degree. When all's said and done you go with .....what is available....what you can afford/do for yourself....what is practicable.

For example.....some voice over people claim they use a cheap $50.00 mic and a couple of old duvets. I don't know???

Suppose if that's all you need the Neumann and the like just wouldn't exist.

All I can say there is a lot more to it than that and it works out a lot more money as well if you want to do the job properly.

Thanks
    lol - it's perfectly okay, Orson - no worries. It's not like my name (which is the pseudo I use for book stuff) gives it away.

And yeah, sorting out advice is what I often have to do. And I try to sort it out in a way that makes sense to me. Sometimes it takes me a while - haha

I would have gone bigger if I could, but I am limited as to how much space I've got, so I did the best with what we had. It's a huge step up from what I was working in before, which was literally a little cubbyhole space underneath some stairs. Very small and uncomfortable. This one will be huge compared to that.

Thanks
    Ahhhh - so those are diffusers then! I had no idea. I'm telling you, I'm very much a NOOB to some of this this I mean, I know what bass traps look like, and acoustical foam, but I'd have never guessed those holey panels were like a diffuser. derp

Thanks
    Ok Lynne in a nutshell. According to the experts of which I am not. You started off with a bad size as you never have a room which is the same measurements all round.

What I have learnt is that drywall/plasterboard echoes like hell and osb board is stronger, softer with sound but more expensive.

I preferred proper acoustic foam over cloth covered fibreglass/rockwool inside such a small space and I am trying more natural materials for any lower frequencies the foam does not take out............Like I say you go with what is available and what you can afford.

The holey board I would try depending on cost etc.

When you sort your room out. You will need ventilation to get rid of moisture from you and to provide you fresh air..........Again what you can do yourself etc...........A good fan is approx $50.00 but then you have to make it silent.

You can spend thousands and basically never stop.

First of all I would get the room quiet and then work out cost of sound treatment......foam panels or rockwool panels etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The panels could be made from a board material and possibly backed with absorbing foam or other.

Thanks
    I was trying to find that holey diffuser stuff but can't locate it so far. Most diffusers I see are totally different looking than that. Which is one of the reasons I had no clue those were diffusers. Something like that would actually be preferable than what I was looking at (which was this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TI0FA06O&psc=1).

My room isn't totally uniform as far as the "same" measurement. The angled doorways on each side break up the actual measurements into uneven ones. I was just giving rough figures off the top of my head to present an idea as to how large the working area was.

Thanks
    As far as I know. Diffusers are designed to do a particular job and deal with certain frequencies depending on their design. The Amazon example I haven't a clue as what it is supposed to do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Lynne View Post

My room isn't totally uniform as far as the "same" measurement. The angled doorways on each side break up the actual measurements into uneven ones. I was just giving rough figures off the top of my head to present an idea as to how large the working area was.
    If your room is already finished then you need to work out costs of all sound treating materials.

Thanks
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do - figure out what's best, and what I can actually swing from there.

Thread Information