Curtains?

soundprizm

Hey all! I'm currently doing mixes in a 20'X20' drywalled basement, and the acoustics are just awful... I'm in the process of making a few 2'x4' acoustic panels (wood, fiberglass, and burlap). I'm contemplating seperating the room and covering a wall with curtains made out of canvas. Doing this would give me a 10'X20' listening space... Is canvas any good for this sort of application or am I going about this the wrong way?

Any feedback is appreciated! :)

Doing this would give me a 10'X20' listening space...

First, no it won't. You'll still have a 20'x20' space acoustically, at least throughout most of the audible spectrum.

Secondly, even if it did, 10'x10' is ***MUCH*** worse than 20'x20'.

Unless you can build a hard wall somewhere, just leave it 20'x20' and treat it appropriately. You'll need FEWER panels for a room that large, not more.

Frank

Thanks for the tip! :drunk: I guess I'll throw a little more money into the panels and see where that takes me... My guess is about 9 panels should work, my only concern is all the air that's behind me...

Thanks for the tip! :drunk: I guess I'll throw a little more money into the panels and see where that takes me... My guess is about 9 panels should work, my only concern is all the air that's behind me...

That's GOOD not BAD. The fact that the room is square is not a good thing, but it's offset to some degree by the 20' you have to work with. You're still going to have a lot of modal combining, so you should still get as much 4" trapping as you can in there.

Frank

Back