Comb Filtering

Tonio

Anyone have an example of what comb filtering sounds like? How about a standing wave @ 300hz? Preferably say of a tom?
Basically comb filtering is like a drum kit overheads/vs snare or kick is out of phase right? As though the low end is missing. Is that a characteristic of sounding hollow?
Dumb question I know. :cool: I'm just trying to figure out why the high end sounds good when the low end is wacked out from comb filtering? Does that make sense? Sure just, flip the phase on the overs and the low end comes back. But notice the floor tom could be ok, but the rack toms may still have
the comb filtering effect. I'm refering to the attack sounding good, but teh resonant tone is wacked -hollow.
So in essence there is a comb filtering effect in reference to the frequency of the rack tom right?

T

Tonio,

> Anyone have an example of what comb filtering sounds like? How about a standing wave @ 300hz? <

There's a series of videos on my company's web site that explains all of this and more, with examples:

www.realtraps.com/videos.htm

> So in essence there is a comb filtering effect in reference to the frequency of the rack tom right? <

Comb filtering occurs acoustically whenever a direct sound combines with reflections.

--Ethan

Wow Ethan , you have videos now too?
So I presume that 300 hz is where the comb filter is happening. Time to kill that reflection area!!

T

Back