Building a vocal booth & need some sound advice. (ha)

N4M1RR3M

I'm wanting to build a small booth in my "office", probably something around the 3.5'x4.5' area, as space is limited. My question is.....I've seen many pictures/videos/threads on different builds, but can't seem to find out *What is the optimal acoustical traits of an effective vocal sound booth*?

Is it total isolation? I've read that the pyramid foam throughout will muddy the recording & nearly remove all treble....but it seems that many online soundbooth manufacturers are using this in their higher-end booths?

Is it sound dampening? If so, how much and what frequencies are affected by what materials?

I've read that equilateral boxes are not optimal, due to sound reflection/reverberation....are my dimensions adequate? Does an "angled ceiling" have any positive effect on the booth? (again, just something I read)......

I'd appreciate any help/advice in planning/construction/materials!

You would be best off just treating the whole office room and recording vocals in it. Contrary to popular belief, professional vocal booths (the ones in professional studios) are about the size of a small bedroom. A small room (like the one you listed above) will just sound like crap.

Drew

+1 to that^^. The reason for isolation is more for stopping noise transmission from outside in or inside out. You would need a hell of a lot larger room to do this effectively anyway. The small room will only make your vocals sound assy.

What about a sucky room and using something like this?

google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&xhr=t&q=primacoustic+voxguard&cp=13&qe=cHJpbWFjb3VzdGljIA&qesig=SaBAD19IN-Ax48mfY_Ts9Q&pkc=AFgZ2tkqfhs9-KXdvLBAx3xn5mQ-k3nP0E31ApaWR1no54JMhQIQ5tNIyKwecGCYhjKQ1bqv-zdSIxV_CSEvUhKALXHgE_A6gA&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1600&bih=810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12547900871477423185&sa=X&ei=ZzInTpeIF_C60AG374HGCg&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAw

Back