Bass Build up problem ?, with a sorry floor plan.

malcolm123

Hello All,
I am currently working in a new environment for recording. This room is used mainly for non-live playing and Vox. Any live playing would be DI. The Vox are tracked in here as well, but after going to John's site and dloading the little Freq room tester thingy, I ran some freqs using sinewave and the biggest problem that I have is of course the lows (40hz was a huge difference) . As usually they build up at the back of the room. Standing waves arent a ploblem as far a fludder or ringing when I clap, etc. Anyway, , my question is, before I buy somemore bass traps ( my others were stolen) I need to know if I could get away with just 3 of them.

In the front left corner (left of the mixer and monitor) we have a book shelf there that holds like Lava lamps etc. Counter corner from that bookshelf is a built in Desk with a cabinet for holding Hi-Fi equipment. This particular bookshelf also has a hole below it for resting knees if you put a chair there ( which we dont ).

Room config =
Carpeted floor on painted concrete.
Gypsum Board on walls
Gypsum on Ceiling.
Ceiling = 8 ft
No treatments for the ceiling nor upper corners.

Could I get away with controlling the bass by placing traps in just these 3 corners where I have ? "questions marks"

I tried to draw a diag to scale but im no architect.

I will try to post a jpg so if I screw up sorry.

any suggestions or comments welcolmed.

The little small grey blocks indicate Auralex 2" pyramid foams.

Thanks

Malcolm

Attachments

• studio floor.jpg
    studio floor.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Malcolm,

> I need to know if I could get away with just 3 of them. <

As a rule, the more bass trapping you install the flatter the low frequency response will be. You ask if three is enough. How big is each trap? What type of trap and what are they made of?

As a general answer I'll say that three is probably not enough, especially in a room that size. I think eight is closer to ideal if each trap is reasonably large.

--Ethan

Re: Re: Bass Build up problem ?, with a sorry floor plan.

Ethan Winer said:
Malcolm,

> I need to know if I could get away with just 3 of them. <

As a rule, the more bass trapping you install the flatter the low frequency response will be. You ask if three is enough. How big is each trap? What type of trap and what are they made of?

As a general answer I'll say that three is probably not enough, especially in a room that size. I think eight is closer to ideal if each trap is reasonably large.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan.

I was thinking about maybe the Lenrd package on the Auralex site. http://www.auralex.com/bass_traps_lenrd/bass_traps_lenrd.asp

It looks like 8 per package with a total of 16ft.

I was thinking about going maybe 4ft per corner from the floor.

If you think I need more Icould get 2 packages.

If you know of anything better, just let me know.

Thanks

Malcolm

Back