advice/comments on "sound tent"

KevinDrummer

Hi folks!

I'm in a 11' x 18' x 8'-8"(H) space in my half-submerged basement. I was pondering how to do 2 things - 1) keep the drum sound down to the rest of the house, and 2) make my recordings better by deadening the quick reverb that causes phase problems in my recordings.

The drums take up about 1/3 of this space. I was thinking of fabricating a "tent" that hangs from the ceiling and has sound absorbing panels sewn or otherwise attached to it. I know there are premade units that do this - but I don't have $1,500 to spare.

My main question is - does anyone have plans or advise on how to do this? Second question is - where can I get the standard anechoic foam at the cheapest price?

Thanks in advance!

KevinDrummer said:
The drums take up about 1/3 of this space. I was thinking of fabricating a "tent" that hangs from the ceiling and has sound absorbing panels sewn or otherwise attached to it."

It won't work.

I know there are premade units that do this - but I don't have $1,500 to spare.

Who makes these units? I would be interested in reviewing their products.

[quote0 My main question is - does anyone have plans or advise on how to do this? [/quote]

It requires rooms within rooms - decoupling your room from structure - then installing mass mass and more MASS to convert some of the sounds going through the walls into heat (thereby dissapaiting the energy) and reflecting the rest back into the room (where you will need treatment). Hopefully the amount then making it through the wall won't be too much for those outside the room to handle.

Second question is - where can I get the at the cheapest price?

What exactly is the physical properties of the "standard anechoic foam" tell me that and perhaps I can point you in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Rod

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

"standard anechoic foam"
Ah yes, good ole "wedgies". You know, the ones that make rooms "soundproof". Good grief. There ought to be a law against snake oil. :D AND there SHOULD be a "sticky" section here, or a FAQ section or something. This stuff is getting rampant.
fitZ

Rod Gervais said:
It won't work.

Who makes these units? I would be interested in reviewing their products.

[quote0 My main question is - does anyone have plans or advise on how to do this?

It requires rooms within rooms - decoupling your room from structure - then installing mass mass and more MASS to convert some of the sounds going through the walls into heat (thereby dissapaiting the energy) and reflecting the rest back into the room (where you will need treatment). Hopefully the amount then making it through the wall won't be too much for those outside the room to handle.

What exactly is the physical properties of the "standard anechoic foam" tell me that and perhaps I can point you in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Rod

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Well - let's see...... hmmmm....

it's kind of "foamy", and oh yeah..... it stops echos

actually i'm looking for somehting that ONLY catchces 6 KHz and nothing else,and I want marshmallow foam 'cuz it's tasty.

Back