A Song in Progress: Falling Star - your comments most welcome

Oskari

Although I've been writing and performing my own material for years, I've only just started home recording. I can appreciate that I'll never achieve better sound quality than a demo, but it's still a great way to archive my stuff. Having said that, I am in the process of trying to make the best demo I can by learning about recording, mixing, etc, etc.

Have a listen to my first attempt at home recording - all comments very welcome:

FALLING STAR

Note: only the vocals and acoustic guitars are real instruments (both recorded with only a USB mic: Samson CO1U). The simple drums, bass guitar and pad I played on my midi keyboard. All recorded in Nuendo 4.3.

Hey Oskari

I would suggest taking a little of the higher frequencies off the of the percussion. I would also bring the bass a but more forward in the mix. Other than that, it's got a good balance.

Hi ConorC,

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify: does taking the higher frequency off mean using EQ? I notice that there is either control of EQ for each track or I can insert an EQ plug in. Which way would you go? I'll have a play around with it because I think I know what you mean - soften those high-hats.

Jack

my first comments in this forum. recordings fine I like bfd2 for none live drums prc etc recordings can allways be different. however from my stand point if i had had the inspiration to write this song i think i might have put some space and changes in vers and ch, not better just different ps flash crashed half way through,

O,
The real stuff is good.
The song and perfromance are good too.
There's a lack of dynamics that may be you feel constrained by the instrumentation.
Get a cheap bass (try for a Vantage on Ebay) _ EDIT: scratch that - they're asking too much for those basses - I love 'em but someone's trying to make a killiong & the prices are too high at present.
On the otehr hand there's:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-b...353&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=4&sd=230827853877&
and a DI like the Behringer BDI21 so you can DI the bass and guitar if you are able to plug that in too.http://www.kosmic.com.au/behringer-bass-d-i-bdi21/
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Behringer-Bass-D-I-BDI21-/230827853877
http://bavasmusic.com.au/store/behringer-bdi21-vtone-bass-modelerdi-p-5445.html
Any non bass guitar bass just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.
Midi drums are just that.
I couldn't handle the stuff m'self as I spent many years with a drum machine (no better - only different).
Grab a tambourine and aim at buying a reasonable interface when you can.
Voice good
guitar good
song good
arrangement & midid stuff not so good.
that's fine for the moment.
As you develop a relationship within the clinic you may be able to collab with folk who can/will add stuff for you.
I had a post in guitars & basses recently that made to 300 views before I replied to myself just to get a single hit.
I've been quiet in the forums of late & have reaped what I sowed.
Get to know people, post, comment, respond, thank - all the normal social protocols!

Last edited:
As a newbie I cant give feedback on the technical stuff but it's a nice song, with lovely lyrics and vocals to match..and you have the same mic as me :-)

Thanks guys! I know I should leave a lot of it to the professionals, but it's so easy to get carried away in this age of DYI. As a songwriting tool I find it liberating.

So I came across this post this morning. Really like the song. Since you've said this is a work in progress, I'll add my non-pro observations.

A couple of other posts have mentioned the arrangement, I'd just add:

Maybe add some harmony parts or background vocals to add some variety.

The guitar playing sounds good, what about adding one or more parts.

I really like the doubled vocals in the chorus, makes them stand out, but the first chorus doesn't come in until somewhere around 1:53, seems late, especially since it really does make the song.

Since I almost always work alone in my home studio, I can relate to the challenges of creating other parts, basically I just use what I have in terms of instruments and just understand that those are the limits I'm working with.

Would love to hear the progress on this. Keep us posted. cmk

This song has good bones (lyrics, melody, and vibe). Add bass and sparse out the percussion to help the acoustic guitar shine. If you can get your brother to sing the second chorus with you then go for it.

Back