What do you do when you have writers-block?

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Ever get it when you really really want to write a song but the words arent coming and your sick of always using the same style or chords that you've used all along?

I usually go out, buy a cd and listen to it over and over until it grows on me and it can inspire me.

Mike

If its lyrics, I often go for a walk at 3 in the morning. Spend some time just watching the stars or something like that, something that amazes you and makes you feel small. Don't forget a note pad, or even better, a voice recorder. It can also work to come up with a tune. Also doing monotonous jobs like the steel mill I work at helps bigtime. You have time to shut your brain off of what you're doing, and you can come up with a gold mine of melodies, and lyrics. Another lyric trick is to listen to a song you think has a good tune, but you dont know the words yet, and sing along with it substituting your own lyrics kinda freestyle type of approach. That works for me, hope it helps, although to be truly honest, you never write quite as well when you're trying.

Lyrics are easier for me than chords sometimes. I just let my inspiration ;) and experiences guide me. Writing about something you are familiar with is easier than something you know little about. Don't worry about plagarizing yourself. You will get something different the next time around. Just write as often as you can and even if it seems repetitive, at least you're moving forward. Those little snippets will turn into gems......I know because I've heard your stuff...... ;)

I strap on a guitar, turn on the radio, and check out stations I wouldn't normally listen to, playing along with and figuring out some songs I would never normally have any reason to be listening to. I find that I'll come across tunes I've never played, and styles that aren't my forte, trying to play counterpoint to what is on the radio, and develop a riff, theme or song from my counterpoint playing. If you tune to 440-A, you'll be in tune with most of what's on the radio. If I expose myself (yikes!!) to unfamiliar styles I usually come out of it with a new song, some new riffs or themes, or at the very least a newfound respect for songs I wouldn't ordinarally be playing.

Here's what I do...

If I get writers block, usually I do one of two things...first I try to do a writing excercise, typically I try to write a page or two trying to describe something in as much detail as possible...(ie. I write about the room I am in and describe as many things as possible within the room with precise description pretending that the reader would be someone who has never seen it..)

The Second thing that I do, is spend some time reading through old things I've written, I'm a pack rat so I have tons of lyrics and ideas I keep in a binder...usually there is an undeveloped idea hiding in there, that sparks some inspiration...

Thanks guys, a lot of stuff I've never tried before. I dont want to make a living of being an artist, I just do it for fun, but sometimes you get frustrated cause it seems like everyone is writing good music and when a song like "give a little bit" by supertramp comes on the radio you cant help but wonder "why cant I write a song like that?".
I bought some Dylan CDs to get me more inspired as well, as well as the new Korn Unplugged (not usually a Korn fan at all).

ido1957 said:
Those little snippets will turn into gems......I know because I've heard your stuff...... ;)

Thanks that means a lot to me.

Do you guys ever have one single phrase that you think is clever but cant build a song around it? For example one of the sentences I came up with in Political Studies class was "and if this song could save my life I'd sing it til I die". Lots of ideas, can bring them together into something coherent.

Mike

Nightfire said:
Do you guys ever have one single phrase that you think is clever but cant build a song around it? For example one of the sentences I came up with in Political Studies class was "and if this song could save my life I'd sing it til I die". Lots of ideas, can bring them together into something coherent.

Mike

I have lots of those, i usually save them all up for songs. Either that or i can use them for Oscar wilde style quotes. One i had yesterday was "Last night i saw my own death going past me backwards in a car" Not really too much i can do with that one!

If I hit a rut (and I suspect all writers hit the occasional rut) I do all the stuff that has been mentioned so many times - pick up a different axe, try alternate tunings, listen to some new artists (or old artists that have inspired me), read, dig out some older tunes to re-work, walk away for a minute, an hour or a day, etc. etc.

As I've mentioned on this site previously, I feel a writer must write (even if it ain't coming easy), sort through the crap and eventually a phrase, a hook or an idea will rise to the top. That is the mark of a writer who has developed the craft!!!

While I have periods in which I'm not as prolific as I would like - I no longer really suffer "writer's block" - I think in large part, because I simply do not accept temporary slumps to be a problem but rather an opportunity to try something different. By turning it into a positive, my creative energy is not drained by the weight of negativity and I've able to get out of the ruts quickly (even if it involves rocking back and forth)

Man - do I sound like a "new age high priest" or what :D

Certainly all of the above, trying a new instrument etc. can help if you are truly stuck.

However, I think you are talking about a lyrical roadblock rather than a musical one. Forgive me if I have misunderstood.

Yes, I certainly have found myself with a line I really like and then struggling to make something with it. It's as if I love this line and don't want it to be "spoiled" by placing it next to inferior lines. It's a classic block!

What is happening is not that you can't think of anything (you already said "lots of ideas" but that you were struggling to bring them together). It is rather that what you think of doesn't fit well enough for your liking - you are self-censoring everything like an overcritical editor.

I have had lines and songs that have taken years to get to the point that I am happy with them. I think Leonard Cohen took 3 years on "Hallelujah".

I think the only way out is to write something. Anything. It doesn't matter if it's not good enough. Once you have something you can work with it and develop it. While it is in your head it is too ethereal. Get it on paper - don't be afraid to throw things away. It will come!

As I said in a recent thread here..

"I really don't believe that it is a matter of waiting for inspiration. I don't think it happens that way very often.

I think when you are working, something happens - and sometimes that feels a bit like inspiration.

So I say - just start. It's that simple. The rest will follow."

Nice line by the way! The word "die" is limited in the number of useful rhymes available, but the great thing is that there are soooo many synonyms and euphemisms available!

BTW, maybe Political Studies isn't really your bag? ;)

Usually I just

kill myself..... Wait! That's not right.....I just beat myself up a lot.....or do I lock myself up.....I definitely remember trying something......Wait a minute.....That didn't work either....Incessant rambling has taken control of my writing spirit... :o Oh yeah....Now I remember - I just keep writing whatever comes to my mind until I am able to 'write through it'. :D :D :D I generate a lot of crap until I finally come out the other side though. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I used to come up with tons of lyrics when I was into heavy drugs or booze. Coming down from drugs or booze as well. Now that I'm normal average and boring, I have to wait until they fly out of left field. :rolleyes: Instrumentally, I'm always playing my guitar while I watch TV, playing along trying to get ideas. Getting out of the instrumental rut is difficult for me, as I have had no lessons, and end up playing the same old self-taught junk. That's why I like my synths. :) They tend to get me out of the ruts because I'm usually experimenting, and getting inspiration from the sound textures. :)

Nightfire said:
Thanks guys, a lot of stuff I've never tried before. I dont want to make a living of being an artist, I just do it for fun, but sometimes you get frustrated cause it seems like everyone is writing good music and when a song like "give a little bit" by supertramp comes on the radio you cant help but wonder "why cant I write a song like that?".
And I bet Supertramp wonders why they can't write a song like that. You could die waiting to write a song like that especially if you're not writing songs because of setting yourself rediculous expectations. Take every idea that comes into your head as far as it will go. You need the practice and you need to get the crappy ones out of your head to make room for the better ones. Don't start to judge a song until you've got a rough recording (guitar + vox or piano + vox) and you've let it sit around for a while.

iqi616 said:
Don't start to judge a song until you've got a rough recording (guitar + vox or piano + vox) and you've let it sit around for a while.

Best advice ever!!! ;) Greenies from the up-fiddler...........

usually only when somethings been sitting on my mind is when i can write a lyric.

i've sat an stared at a page many times...i've actually written stuff like "i'm making no progress, i'm writing this, thinkin i am, but i'm not really...." but somehow that got me thinking..and i wrote my favorite set of lyrics ever from it.

you just have to sit down and get things sparked sometimes.

but man. i HATE it when you just have that one golden line, and you think about the subject and you just can't get the rest of the song out.

i doodle. half of the pages in my lyrics notebook are just covered in stupid drawings and scribbles and stuff. for some reason it helps me, even if i can't think of a song or can't finish one, if i keep the pencil moving, at least something gets put on the paper. eventually i find some more words to write.

Hey

I find that if I can work out the message of a lyric, and from that a title hook. I then plan what I want to say, and when so that the lyric has a dynamic. With this as a framework I find writing a lot easier from that point on. I'm still going through the songwriting process, but just organising how i do it.

I also find that using this approach gives me a more cohesive lyric.

From there a being prepared to try alternatives to everything helps. Good critiquing skills really help, so reviewing the work of others is essential to build up critiquing skills. It also helps with inspiration, just seeing how others approach their writing.

Hope this helps

Cheers

John

Back