Song Writing Help ?

SEREOUS

Hey their I was just wondering if any one needed help with song writing. If so reply what you need help with. If anyone else has any techniques also post them.

Like an A&R can,you look at your song on paper and tell if its
a hit ?? Wanna know how? Do you know what the A&R's look
for when they glance at your lyric sheet?

SEREOUS said:
Hey their I was just wondering if any one needed help with song writing. If so reply what you need help with. If anyone else has any techniques also post them.

Like an A&R can,you look at your song on paper and tell if its
a hit ?? Wanna know how? Do you know what the A&R's look
for when they glance at your lyric sheet?

Tell us, Obi-Wan. :)

A&R 411

Why certainly- I wouldnt just leave you guys hanging. The A&R's are taught specifically to glance at the lyric sheet for the following.
1. First the SONG name - first thing they look at- Then they see if its in the CHORUS. It's not very marketable if the name of the song is not in the chorus.
2. MOST important thing on the lyric sheet they look at. BEFORE they even waste their time listening to the song is .... THE overall STRUCTURE, Just by seeing the lyrics printed on the page they can tell if its structured correct.
I.E.- Even amount of bars in a verse, Song format with CHoruses and Verses, Bridge, and any of that stuff in between. This shows them that you've done your homework and you know how to write a song.
3. Rhyming, is very important- more to some genres then others. They look at the rhyme scheme, and how you chose to use it. DO you stay on rythm with it ect...
4. ALways make sure your ending lines of a verse lead in to a CHORUS.. They look for this. That way it makes a smooth transition- to the listeners ear. I.E. (VERSE) "i wont stop for nothin- N when they ask we will tell them" (chorus ) "HEY HEY - HERE WE GO - (like that)
5. Okay .. Think your in the clear ?? well not yet. You released a 3 song demo- well at least you should have. If not your stuff is in the garbage by now. Since you have 3 songs next thing that happens is the A&R will compare the songs. Looking for the different concepts - can you switch the way you write and do you stay consistent.
6. A&r's always look for creative artist. Your choruses will be looked at by structure and rhyme scheme. DO you switch up the choruses or will your song always have an A-B laid out chorus. You must switch up the way you write and deliver the choruses or you will not last long.
7. Last important detail is the song structure again. When they compare your songs side by side (lyric sheet) They look for is the song laid out the same! is it different they way you format it. This is why you hear a variety on the radio. Chorus 1st - then a verse n chorus/ or some start the Verse 1st then do a chours. This has to keep switching up.

In conclusion educate your self on this stuff. ITs almost too easy. They expect you to know it - remember if this is what you want your profession to be then be professional about it. Learn the in's the out's - do your homework. They expect you to use whats out their- the radio holds the formula for every HIT- it dont make radio unless its a HIT. Their are plenty of examples out their - YOU just gotta study them...

Next.. will be what the A&R's look and listen for when they give ur DEMO A SPIN.

SEREOUS said:
In conclusion educate your self on this stuff. ITs almost too easy.

Whoa!
I hadn't realised that it was all so simple as that. Getting signed is clearly a mugs game.
...I presume you have your first million already spent?

I would rather not write my songs based on those rules, or any rules, even if they were true.

Even if you dont want to write your songs to these rules, sadly it is the TRUE industry standard. The artist do not make those desicions its the Execs. that tell you what you will do. ITs sad how music has slipped especially in rap- its plain out garbage now days. I mean anyone ANYONE can rap about snappin their fingers. People are just greedy and want to make these so called HITs- No one cares anymore about the appealing and lasting- of the songs.
I think we have our own self to blame though because we eat this garbage up. Mostly because of societies and all people do is party and club. SO at them places people luv the music mostly because they are drunk, or they think its cool they know how to do a dance move the song is saying to do, or that they mimic from the video. The club/bar scene has gotten to be WAYYY to big of a market for the EXecs. to ignore. Why take chances on high quality music when they know a good club song will rake in millions?

thats my take on it

I write songs the way "I write songs" not in accordance to a set of regulations and guidelines from so called A&R. Ive never had any complaints, and guess what..i never will, because i dont give a flying toss about markets, demographics and buisness acumine. If nobody bought it i still wouldnt give a shit. Write songs for yourselves not A&R Task forces set up to find the "new Thing' cynically driven by market forces.

More power to ya man- I used to write it according to the A&R - cause when you wanna get on YOU wanna get on. I used to think why be in the game if im not gonna go PLATINUM. Im wasting my time and cheating myself if i dont try. Now i see its garbage and I write for me, i feel ya if no one buys it - i could care less too.

Why sell your soul for the world then sit back n watch it burn in flames

Back