X/Y with a spaced pair?

dreib

So this weekend I set up an X/Y set of OH's and a spaced pair on my drums . I really like the focus of the X/Y but really like the spread of a spaced pair too, I couldn't really make both pairs work together well but I thought maybe someone has a trick or two to try out before I chose one or the other ? Any suggestions?

I'm generally a fan of spaced pair as overheads. That said, I used to use a XY and an extreme pair (20' spread maybe). And sometimes I'd use the XY and delay them to mimic that spacing...

(hint hint...)

Last edited:
Yea Im gonna try moving the spaced pair farther away but probably not 20 foot. I really dig the x/y as far as how the drums sound but I don't like the narrow spread on the cymbals which is why I tried the spaced pair too, but when I combined them I couldn't find the best of both worlds.....yet!

If each mic is on a separate channel, couldn't you use panning as a way to get better separation (assuming small diaphragm mics)?

Yea Im gonna try moving the spaced pair farther away but probably not 20 foot. I really dig the x/y as far as how the drums sound but I don't like the narrow spread on the cymbals which is why I tried the spaced pair too, but when I combined them I couldn't find the best of both worlds.....yet!

Try tweaking the spread on your XY. You might find the happy spot that gets you features of XY and spaced pair.

Try ORTF and Recorderman too. Glyn Johns. The possibilities are endless.

Instead of delaying the xy to match the spaced pair, move the spaced pair ahead to match the xy.

Eq the xy to focus more on the drums instead of the cymbals, do the opposite on the spaced pair.

most of the messiness you get when you use all the mics comes from the timing difference, fix that and you will.probably be good to go.

Lowering the X/Y will widen the image. Of course that's contingent on the drummer's stick movement. I like the far sides of the kit to be at least 90° apart from the X/Y mics' perspective.

Try tweaking the spread on your XY. You might find the happy spot that gets you features of XY and spaced pair.

Try ORTF and Recorderman too. Glyn Johns. The possibilities are endless.

I think I will spread the XY and see what I can come up with. I have tried recorderman and Glyn Johns and didn't care for them.

The greatest thing about experimenting is Ive learned when you have your overheads in a good spot your close mics on the snare and toms are just icing on the cake ya know?

I appreciate all the ideas so far!

I think I will spread the XY and see what I can come up with. I have tried recorderman and Glyn Johns and didn't care for them.

The greatest thing about experimenting is Ive learned when you have your overheads in a good spot your close mics on the snare and toms are just icing on the cake ya know?

I appreciate all the ideas so far!
when he says 'increasing the spread', he is ralking about increasing the angle, not moving the mics away from each other. If you do that, it isnt xy anymore.

(just clarifying, you could read that sentence both ways)

Changing the angle of the mics probably won't fix this. The problem is most likely distance. If the mics aren't positioned low enough to make the kit appear wide enough from the mics' perspective the stereo image will be narrow.

when he says 'increasing the spread', he is ralking about increasing the angle, not moving the mics away from each other. If you do that, it isnt xy anymore.

(just clarifying, you could read that sentence both ways)

Yea but Im gonna try both ways, angles and distance, and not worry too much on what its supposed to be called and just listen .

Thanks!

I've tried combining multiple overheads in the past. YX with spaced, OTRF with spaced. They never seemed to work for me. Probably because even if you align the mics so the distance from the snare is the same, many other elements will be in different distances from the mics (resulting in comb filtering with cymbals, toms, etc.). That's why I nowadays pick one OH technique (or two to have options) to suit my needs. Quite often with rock and heavier stuff I'm totally happy with the spaced pair. If I want something more compact (and natural) I'll use ORTF. Lately I haven't had much reason for XY.

So I settled on a spaced pair and a mono room mic which Im not even sure I will use in the final mix ?

What I am going to try someday, when I have enough decent mics is XY with cymbal close mics or I guess I could try dubbing the cymbals in later which Ive heard is becoming more popular. Im not sure if I could talk myself into doing that?

So I settled on a spaced pair and a mono room mic which Im not even sure I will use in the final mix ?

What I am going to try someday, when I have enough decent mics is XY with cymbal close mics or I guess I could try dubbing the cymbals in later which Ive heard is becoming more popular. Im not sure if I could talk myself into doing that?

Ugh. Try it if you must, but it's a silly "trick" that is totally unnecessary.

The last time I used more than a pair of overheads, I just used 4 mics to mic cymbal sections. I only did it because the guy had a huge kit and about 20 cymbals surrounding him. Basically, I did a front spaced pair and a rear spaced pair, but I wasnt worried about getting a representation of the kit in those mics. They were just treated as cymbal mics.

Back