Will this drastically affect the room sound?

Bass Master "K"

I finished my project studio in my new house about a month ago. I built it into a basement and it is a 12.5' x 17.5' x 7 ' high room with hardwood floors and ceilings and drywall that has been primed and painted. There is about a 4 to 6 inch barrier of air between the walls and the concrete.

The room has a really nice live sound that (I am guessing) should be great for the drums. I am working on some movable sound baffling for creating an iso room in a corner. After micing up my acoustic and putting a room mic in the back of the room I can hear that I need to do some sound treating, but I will need to play a bit more with to room to nail down the trouble frequencies. This may all be more info than needed...

Anyhow, the question is, I want to get a big 5.5' by 9.5' flag to hang on the far wall. I'm wondering if this will absorb much sound and affect the "liveness" of the room sound. Would cotton make more of a difference over polyester? I know thickness makes a difference as well, but when we are talking the small differences of less than half a centimeter does that relly affect it as well?

Thanks for your time and any insight you guys can give.

Back