Weezer-Blue Album

JG96

Does anyone know anything about gear used on this album, production, micing techniques, etc. The Blue Album has to be Weezer's greatest album and I really admire the way albums such as the Blue Album, Surfer Rosa, and In Utero just have this really raw realistic sound. I think its got something to do with room mics on the drums. Also would one room mic yield a similar result to two room mics or would it not sound nearly as good?

this is a question for steve albini. i'm not sure if he recorded surfer rosa, but i think he did, and i know he tracked in utero. he uses royer ribbon mics on the drums (on the toms, i think), but i'm not sure of the technique. if you're asking this question, i'm pretty sure these mics are out of your price range. this is not to say that you can't get a good open drum sound. there are various stereo micing techniques for drum overheads. mid-side, xy, etc. drums are extremely difficult to track, but with a good bit of experimentation, you'll find something you like. also, i'd recommend really tuning your drums well and not using too much compression when mixing.

Back