The Strokes vocal sound

abuscus

Does anybody know how the strokes recorded their vocals?If not are there any suggestions on how to get a similar sound?

abuscus said:

What is a low and high pass filter?

Low pass filter > allows low frequencies to pass, thus filtering high frequencies

High pass filter > allows high frequencies to pass, thus filtering low frequencies

The combination of high and lowpass filters would be a comb filter. Everything but a narrow band is cut (think mid pass). The distortion sounds like an overdriven tube amp simulator run in to a parametric tube EQ like a Manley or Avalon. I'm sure it could be simulated with enough tweaking of say a POD and decent parametric EQ.

OFF TOPIC

jake-owa said:
The combination of high and lowpass filters would be a comb filter. Everything but a narrow band is cut (think mid pass).

i learned that a comb filter has the frequency response that resembles a comb, which includes more than one notch or band, which you would get using a low pass and high pass in series

I would have never guessed that was recorded in Pro Tools. I actually thought it was an 8 or 16-track analog recording, considering how "old school" the band is. Some interesting stuff in there about frum recording techniques and stuff... If you want that "Strokes" sound, most of us probably already have all the mics we need to get it.

Back