Soundproof screen

dnl88

Hello. I was wandering if egg boxex in between 2 sheets of thick cardbord insulate well. cos I'd like to place on inbetween the room we record in and the rumkit in another room so the monitors dont leek into the overhead condenser mics. Will this work OK bearing in mind that here is allready a wall separating the 2 rooms.

No it won't do anything. Cardboard and egg crates don't have enough mass to absorb much of anything. Cardboard will also act as a reflective surface and cause all kinds of problems.

The biggest thing transmitting sound in your case is most likely the floor.

Thats wierd cos when I put a eggbox in front of on of my monitors its like i've gone deaf in one ear

You have the drumset in one room and your monitors in another, and the overheads pick up the monitors?

Are these like actual rooms separated by walls and a door, or what?

How loud are you running the monitors? Just seems like that shouldn't be a problem unless the monitors are way too loud.

Yeah theyre separated but you can hear people speaking at quite low volumes in between. We'll probably be recording drums in a basement with insulated walls but just in case for vocals for example I wouldnt want there to be leeking from the monitors to the mic in the other room which with condenser mics is quite possible.

dnl,
Do you really need to listen to your monitors while tracking if it's bleeding? If that was a problem for me, I'd make sure my levels are set and sound decent, and start recording with the monitors off or down. You'll know/feel how the take went and do it again if you need to. The small snippits of voices in the mics before and afte the songs can be fixed in mixdown by pulling down those faders or the stereo track.

Also remember, bleed is not the almighty evil thing that everone makes it out to be, it can really add to ambience, but you need to know how to control it. You can make sure your condenser is set to cardoid and not omni or figure 8.
Use headphones to monitor signals while tracking to keep stuff out of the mics too. Oh yeah, tell everyone to shut up while you're tracking!!!!

There's plenty of ways to get around your problems, just gotta be willing to try a few different things.

yeah its just to get an idea of the sound of the drums but I suppose I can cut the monitors during the recording process and just have the playback out of the drummers headphones.

That's the "easiest" thing to do. I did the same thing a few weeks ago. the room I was recording in at the time didn't allow me to run the monitors while tracking, but I still got a great disc. It's also good to listen to the "live" drums so you know what sound to tweak for. Just set your levels, route to the phones, turn off your monitors, and press record. Hell, plug a set of phones for yourself to monitor while tracking. There really isn't anything you're going to be doing that requires you to listen full volume while tracking, save all of that for mixdown

Back