Solo violin / solo viola: help needed

Much thanks/classical guitar

Sorry it took a while to get back, but thanks to all that responded to my question about micing techninques and good mics for violin. The Royer ribbon sounds interesting from everything that I've read, but I don't have that kind of cash at the moment. I would also like to get suggestions on good mics for classical guitar. By this I don't just mean any nylon string guitar, I'm talking serious concert artist with an incredible instrument. I am well aware of the imprtance of the room. Any advice on mic/pre setup would be greatly appreciated.

Sweetnubs, I take you point very seriously as I am an orchestral conductor and place HUGE importance on the sound of the room. Last thing I need is SCREEECH! Is the Royer pretty much the cheepest of your favorite ribbons for violin? It must be said that I am recording Persian violin, which should lean toward the darker side. No aggressive Romantic violin concerto here.

muchos Grassyass

It's been a while since I'd looked at this thread! Thanks, all, for your input.

I have a related challenge coming up, and that is to record a concert with piano, solo and duet vocalists, string quartet and perhaps some woodwinds; a classical program in a church with very nice acoustics. I don't have enough mics in the locker for this!! They perform in a semicircle. I think I will be placing two small condensers ORTF on the piano, a SP B1 (or a pair) high in the center of the ensemble, and a C3 (maybe omni) to capture the vocalists and the ambient signal. I need about four more mics... :eek:

I could put a couple of SM57s on the piano and use the small condensers elsewhere, like high over the strings, but I don't really want to do that with the piano.

Any ideas?

Back