So I have the interface, but now the sound is terrible!!! Please help!

PMilleraz

So, we're playing through a Delta 44 4in/4out interface and using Sonar Producer 3. When we record we are getting the oddest clicks and semi-echos but only through the guitar and bass inputs. We are playing a digital drum kit and that sounds fine. What could be the problem? Also we are getting a ton of hiss. First round is on me if you're in Phoenix! Thanks.

Peter

I don't have the Delta, but it sounds like you may have one of several setup problems - Word clock internal/external? Sample Rate? Program expecting a different rate than the card is supplying?

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Latency problems. You have to tweak the buffers. If your computer has a slow processor and hardrive then it won't go away. The hiss is probably from a lack of understanding gain structuring or noisy instruments.

It usuall takes me a few days aftering installing new stuff before I get it optimized. Lots of experimentation.

Good Luck

SoMm

I agree with SoM

It all those symptoms are inherent with latency problems... probably a result of your system's processor...

... but... there ARE ways around that even in a slightly older system. I got a friend who's using a Celeron 500 with 196Meg of Ram... and he can record 24 tracks no problemo...

Post your computer system specs and OS and I'll see what I can do about tailoring a little walk through on how to tweak the most out of it... also I need to know what ELSE you plan on running on it (Or is it dedicated strictly to recording?) Let me know now if it's used for anything other than music...

I have a seperate system (Celeron 900Mhz & 1GIG Ram) strictly for music... it doesn't even have web access... I recovered about 14% of my resources just by eliminating the TCP/IP stack and network utilities...

- Tanlith -

It seems strange you only get it with the bass and guitar inputs. Does the delta 44 actually have instrument level inputs?

The hiss could be a lot of things. Give us exact details on how you are recording and monitoring.

Back