Recording thru Mike...buzzing

afcross

I am trying to record my voice via Studio Projects C1, and Behringer Ultra Voice Pre Amp...There is this annoying buzzing sound in the background. How do I resolve this? Is there an adjustment on the pre amp, or do I need to record within a certain volume or dB level. Thanks!

I have exactly the same setup then you,

its brand new. I have not tested yet, i will do it tomorrow.

behringer do it again....

i hope it works well.

Where does the buzz come from? Can you isolate it? A well set up Expander/Gate can effectively suppress backround noise.

computer

if your recording into a computer, or you have a computer near, turn the moniter off, that creates a buzzing noise. Should go flat once you turn the computer moniters off.

First you have to isolate the source of the buzz.

room noise?
Mic?
Mic cable?
Preamp?
Preamp cable?

Unplug starting with the mic until the buzz goes away and you have your source. If you replace the cables and there is still a buzz it may be a ground loop problem or crappy sound card.

Thanks. I will work on it. It seems that the only time I actually hear the buzzing is before the music starts and the mike is just making "noise" on its own. I cannot hear it while the music and my voice are playing back. I will check all of the connections though.
Thanks again.

hiss reduction

your buzz is still in your mix though even when your music starts, you just cant hear it because other the music levels are obviously louder. if you only want to eliminate the hiss or buzz at the beginning and end of the track, you can bring it into almost any quality computer recording program and select the part you want the noise reduced. choose any of the following:
- light, standard, high, or custom hiss reduction.
-light, standard, high, or custom noise ruduction.
-light, standard, high, or custom clip and pop eliminator.

if you reduced the noise through the whole track (even though u cant here it much when the music starts) the quality will be superior. dont go overboard though! if u put too much reduction the quality will go down and give you a rounded muffled sound (cuts off high and low frequencies).
i use the "light hiss reduction" myself and it takes away a large majority of the buzz at the beginning and end of the tracks, and doesn't disturb the sound quality of the music so much that anyone would notice.
Good luck!
Jay

Back