recording to cakewalk loaded on laptop

gtr1963

Sorry if I sound a little nieve about the recording process. I have a predicatment. I have cakewalk software on a laptop and I want to record some guitar tracks. I'm going from my processor to the input of my laptop and from the output of my laptop to my amplifier. Is this okay? Reason I'm asking is that I get an ungodly hiss when i do this. The mic on the laptop is disabled when the input/output plug is in.
I've tried recording direct into the laptop, but my guitar/processor through my laptop speakers is too much for it. That's why I wanted to go out into my amp, so I could hear what I'm recording. Any suggestions? Why would my current setup be hissing through my amp so much?

Thanks guys,

Andy

Well, what you are doing has a few problems to it. First, your laptop card will have alot of noise in it most likely. This could be a major cause of hiss. The other problem will likely be that you will have some latency as the guitar signal goes into the computer and out again.

You should be able to record directly through the soundcard with either a modeller, an amp with direct out, or even using some effects processors or pedals. If your computer doesn't have a line in, you usually can use the mic in, put turn off the internal preamp.

Another suggestion would be to use a mic on your amp.

standard laptop sound cards are pretty horrible for recording.

If you really want to do some good laptop recording, I've heard some good things about the Digi001. I own the Tascam US-428 and I really like it and do recommend it; however, if you get one, get a pre-amp or at least phantom power, because the Tascam does not have phantom power.

Back