Recording a big band with 8 tracks

Englebert

Hello again!

Here´s the deal: I play in an amateur big band. We are doing a little Christmas concert for our friends and relatives and I would like to record that show.

The easiest way would of course be a stereo recording with two room mics. However, the acoustics of the room leave a lot to be desired (concrete walls, low ceiling) as does the PA system (we have a singer). I have done some straight-to-minidisc-recordings there before and the results have been bad.

My friend has a Fostex 8-track HD recorder that I can borrow, so I´m going to record into that and later transfer the tracks into Sonar for editing and mixing. I have the following mics at my disposal:

2x Rode NT5
2x AKG C3000B
1x Behringer ECM8000
1x Studio Projects C1
Several SM57´s and 58´s
The singer is using a Shure Beta 58

Mic preamplification is provided by an Allen&Heath MixWiz Mixer. Since the console does not have subgroups, I am really restricted to 8 mics/lines. So here comes my idea for a setup:

Tracks 1,2: Drum overheads (NT5´s)
3: Bass (electric): DI
4: Mono piano (digital): DI
5: Guitar (SM57)
6,7: Stereo horns (C3000B´s)
8: Vocals (Beta 58)

Does that make any sense? I have thought about this for a while and it´s the best I can come up with. Any opinions and tips are welcome - mic choices, phase issues, anything!. Also, I would like to hear suggestions for the horn mic configuration (XY? spaced pair?); I can´t go further than a few meters from the sax section because I want to avoid getting PA into the mics.

As you might have guessed, I am not expecting to get commercial quality. I would just like to get a decent recording for the bandmembers to listen and perhaps enjoy. And I would of course like to learn a bit more about recording - actually it´s the main reason for the whole mess...

another idea?

What about using the monitor or effects sends as a subgroup?
Just an idea.

tmix

Re: another idea?

tmix said:
What about using the monitor or effects sends as a subgroup?

Why the hell didn´t I think of that? Lessee... I have a least two free pre-fader auxes on the board. I can get a third one, if the piano can be monitored straight from the keyboard. Wow! Using them would of course make the recording slightly more complicated, but it sure does open a lot of possibilities. Maybe I could feed some kick into the drum overheads - we play mostly traditional swing (Ellington, Basie), where the kick drum isn´t very prominent, but we also do few modern numbers and there I could use some extra stomp. Or should I try to get more balanced mix of the horn sections with some extra mics? As always, all ideas are welcome!

Tmix, thanks a million for help! (though I´ll be kicking my ass for a long time for not figuring that out myself)

Back