Record and stream...

tenkas

Is there a way to be recording a band and at the same time, sending a stream on the internet (kind of like internet radio) so that people around the world can listen?

Thanks... (Sorry for my lack of knowledge... Read a bit on wiki but there is nothing on the specific subject...)

Yes there is, but it's not cheap and will require doing some real research. First you need a web server that'll accept live streaming applications; not just any hosting service will do that. Then you have to buy and configure the streaming software based upon the stream format, maximum number of simultaneous streams (i.e. number of viewers) you want to be able to handle and/or the streaming quality you desire. This is where boys become men and find out that bandwidth is not free ;).

G.

Which is why, in the end, it is often easier to record the performance and make it available after the show is done, for download :)

I've looked into streaming myself, and yea - it is very difficult, and in my case, wasn't worth the effort - I just recorded the show I wanted to have people hear remotely, and made it available once it was mixed.

tenkas said:
Is there a way to be recording a band and at the same time, sending a stream on the internet (kind of like internet radio) so that people around the world can listen?

Thanks... (Sorry for my lack of knowledge... Read a bit on wiki but there is nothing on the specific subject...)
Yeah of course there is.
My band used to do this.
What it comes down to is the quality of stream you want.
If you want 24bit/44.1kHz then its going to cost you a fekin bomb!

We did it at 100kbps (around myspace quality)
And we got it pretty dang cheap.

Check out http://www.abacast.com/
They are the cheapest we found.
You can always chance your luck and go for http://www.churchquest.com/
This is run by the church and is the lowest price you will ever find!
Although they only allow it for family contact etc. No music or anything I dont think.
We tried it and got knocked back. :(

To stream you want to get Windows Media Encoder. NOT the 64bit one. You can get a free download from Microsoft.

Its quite easy to set up. If you need any help send me a PM or something.

Happy streaming. :)
Eck

The downside we had was that we could only record what was being sent to the stream, so we werent getting 24bit 44.1kHz recordings.
Although if you had 2 computers or a recorder then a computer you could multitrack record the band and then take the output from the recorded and put that in your input of your computer you are using to stream with.

Watch your firewall settings, you might need to change these so the feed from your computer is not interrupted.
Ask to get a demo of the abacast streaming thingy before signing any contracts. They will be happy to oblige

Eck

I've made a shoutcast server before that used MP3 streaming that could be run from your computer. But depending on the quality, most high speed internet (Cable/DSL) can't handle more than a few connections. At WAV format you can forget about it. Unless it's 8KHz mono, 8-bit which sounds like playing over a telephone.

Back