re-amping a guitar ? what is it?

tocs

what do people mean by re-amping a guitar part?

i guess something like recording a clean version of a riff and sending it out of your sound card into an amp then recording it with a mic?
or something like that?

what do people mean by re-amping a guitar part?

i guess something like recording a clean version of a riff and sending it out of your sound card into an amp then recording it with a mic?
or something like that?

Basically correct, but I would use a "direct" signal rather than a "clean" signal, if "clean" means mic'ing an amp using a clean channel. That is, you should use a DI box or instrument input on your preamp for recording.

Then you'll need to send the output of your soundcard back through a reamping device for best results.

Lots of existing threads on reamping if you do a search. Here's one about the hardware.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=224592

"re-amping" need not be done with a real amp, if the performance is captured dry and already exists in the arrangement of the song, then you can use VST guitar plugins to add the distortion, with far less hassle than outputting then re-recording the sound. Basically you are free to change the distorted sound at any time without risking losing anything but the preset, if you make one that you fail to save.

Back