Question: about Mic to use for drums in my basement

johnnymegabyte

A friend brought his drums over, and hoping to record some jams / demos. I placed 2 SM57 to either side of the kit, roughly one foot out and 4 feet from the ground. Sound quite good, however, the kick drum doesn't get picked up too well.
So, does anyone know / suggest a mic (not too expensive) that would do the trick for a "from the front" of the drum set, but would also be versatile for other recording needs, such as Mic'ing guitar cab's or (preferably) vocals.

I'd include a sample but the guy on drums is a beginner, just as a test, not the kit owner. No headphones were used, so there was some bleed from the guitar FX Line Out over the speakers. I hope to capture some drum tracks over the week-end.
Also, we plan to record guitars and bass through their FX processors Line Out, and keyboards direct through mixer / audio interface (Tascam M164UF) like I did in the test the other night with rhythm guitar at the time drums were recorded.

I have a SM58 but it's on its last legs. Sometimes no sound / jiggle the cable and might work, but the VU could be showing a signal, and most times it's crappy / distorted, and 1/3 time is perfect. So, totally unreliable.

Any suggestions and / or ideas appreciated.

my local store carries Shure, Sennheisser and APEX mic's. http://www.long-mcquade.com/departme...icrophones.htm

not shooting for Abbey Road sound, but results so far are quite good. (to me)

If it were me, I'd put one of the 57's about 3' above the snare and the other one in or in front of the kick.

If it were me, I'd put one of the 57's about 3' above the snare and the other one in or in front of the kick.

Yeah I was about to suggest this too ^^

If not, you could always try the 58 :D If that doesn't work, and the first suggestion doesn't give you a good enough sound, you always could buy a cheaper LDC or cheap pair of SDCs to help out.

You really need some condensers for the overheads and then use the 57s for the top and bottom of the snare. Get a D112 or an equivalent for the kick and then you'll be heading in the right direction.

Sure Beta52A is a great mic for kick drums and bass, it is also nice on electric guitar amps giving a smooth sound with warmth in the low mids.
It is around £130 and worth every penny.

G

Back