normalize

paresh

Hi - I'm trying to get a hotter level on the files i convert to MP3. I can't decide if normalizing causes any loss in sound quality?? It's hard to compare since the levels are different. Do you ever normalize & then add compression on mixdown? Thanks.

Normalizing a files makes it only as loud as its highest peak.

If, before normalizing, your highest peak is -3dbFS, after normalizing everything will increase by 3db, including all your noises and imperfections.

It won't necessairly cause a loss in sound quality, just make it louder. You could just as easily push up the master fader by 3bd and get the same result.

To get things to sound louder, you have to work on the Average Levels of sounds, which give a better measure of perceived loudness (to the human ear).

Compression is a better tool to raise a signals average levels. Here's a site where you can read about it:

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/articles3.htm

paresh said:
Hi - I'm trying to get a hotter level on the files i convert to MP3. I can't decide if normalizing causes any loss in sound quality?? Thanks.
Converting your files to mp3's results in a loss of sound quality. Don't worry about normalizing for this purpose.

Some MP3 conversion utillities allow you to normalize the wave during the process. The normalizing will have an effect on the quality of the wave. Also the MP3 conversion will have an effect on the quality of the wave. I think that the normalizing will be responsible for about 0.01% of the quality loss you'll have after mp3-ing the file also.

I experimented yesterday with Soundforge's Normalize vunction. i tried the normalize to peak option and normalise to the average option. Obviously the 'average rms' was the loudest result, but it did cause clipping.

i assume I should have used a 'limiter' to set the maximum to 0db then do the normalize to average RMS in order to make it as loud as possible, assuming that was the desired result?

I wonder if Soundforge has its own limiter built in, will have to experiemnt with that?

Farview said:
Converting your files to mp3's results in a loss of sound quality. Don't worry about normalizing for this purpose.

In addition, MP3 will also lower the overall volume of the song.

HangDawg said:
Just turn up the damn volume knob for christ's sake. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, whilst i can do that, i can hardly put something along the lines of "If you find whilst listening to my CD that its not as loud as the others in your collectuion please turn up the damn volume", it just won't work I'm afraid.

No the trick is to try to get my own music to sound the same volume as commercial CDs in the same genre, so if my cd is in a CD changer on random play for example that when my track comes on there is no volume drop, right?

Don't worry I'm not into loudness for loudness sake to the extent that it ruins the sound, I'm aware of that deabte. Normalizing can be useful for making sure all the tracks on a CD are of a similar volume too.

Sound Forges RMS normalization feature has a built in limiter. Just set it properly and you will be fine. If you are having to normalize more than about a 2db RMS increase though you may start noticing a quality issue.

You need to get your songs mastered, then make the mp3. You need to compress and limit the mix to get it louder, normalizing just sets the peak to 0. RMS normalizing is the devil. The RMS level of a normal song is around -12db (sometimes higher, around -9db) If you RMS normalize to 0db, you will get nothing but a fuzzy square wave. Complete distortion.

Back