Need Help Understanding

lowlow42

Hello again. I've posted before, and I've asked many questions pertaining to mixing and whatnot, but I have a few questions about the procedures I'm taking to actually do this. So maybe you guys can help me out. And I've looked all over the internet, and in books (and experimenting myself), but I just need to understand it a little better. **And also I am still a newbie when it comes to this, so I dont understand alot of the Audio terminology.

(Adobe Audition, M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, UB802 mixer, MXL v57 mic)

Well, let me start off by saying what I've been told to do to my vocals on each track. I've been told to compress them, and add equalization to them. Well, my question is how much, and when?

In Adobe, they have many different presets (or custom) for Equalization, which should I use? And when should I use them, for each vocal track, or final mixdown, or what?

And also, am I supposed to compress the whole mixdown when I'm done or just every vocal track, if so, which preset would work the best, or what custom settings could you help me setup?

When I record in Audition, I usually have the instrumental around -4dB, vocals ranging from 1dB-5dB, doubles around -9dB, and the master volume around -6dB. Does this sound right?

I will also post a song I finished, so you can take a listen, and maybe that will help.

Thanks in advance. Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

This is a song that I finished, please take a listen and critique it.

only compress if you need to not just because.

does adobe audition give you the ability to see both peak and RMS levels when playing back your tracks? if so, then you can SEE whether you need to compress until you get better at hearing whether you need compression. if the RMS level varies widely as the vocals plays back then you need to compress the vocals. if the peak levels and RMS levels vary widely then you may need to put a limiter on the track to bring the level of the track up without clipping.

what i am hearing is that your vocals are way above the music. you need to mix the vocals such that they sit IN the mix rather than OVER the mix otherwise, it sounds like you recorded your vocals over a karaoke track.

crosstudio said:

One rule EVERYONE should live by. Thanks crosstudio.

lowlow you're on the right track, but the vocals do need to be mixed down.

As far as learning how to record your own stuff goes, do what I did and make mistakes until one day you don't make mistakes anymore. Computer disk space is now basically free, unlike when a reel of 2" tape cost $140 and held 22 minutes of music. At these kind of rates just experiment -- and read everything you can get your hands on about recording in general.

crosstudio said:

does adobe audition give you the ability to see both peak and RMS levels when playing back your tracks? if so, then you can SEE whether you need to compress until you get better at hearing whether you need compression. if the RMS level varies widely as the vocals plays back then you need to compress the vocals. if the peak levels and RMS levels vary widely then you may need to put a limiter on the track to bring the level of the track up without clipping.

That was quick, accurate, very sensible, and understandable advice. You are the Man!

:)

Ok, so besides the vocals being too loud, does it sound fine? Or too much compression, or too little (or anything else)? I understand what you said about compression, its just on another thread I was told to always apply compression to vocals.

Thanks for the advice guys!

P.S. I guess I should invest in some monitors or something, or maybe my ears are retarded, because for some reason I always seem to set the vocals loud. ;)

Some good monitors will be very helpful if you want to do recordign with any seriousness at all, but a lot of it is just being familiar with the sound of a mix, and getting used to it.

I always used to mix the vocals too loud also, as the singer, but I've gotten a better feel for how I like to lay them in over time. Also, I used to mix certain drums way too loud.

Just keep recording. Post stuff here (preferably in the mp3 mixing section I reckon) and get people to help you with an experienced and third party take on suggestions. Record as much as you can, and your recordings will keep getting better and better.

I for sure have seen my recordings improve vastly with minimal changes in gear. It just seems like you do the same things you always did, in the exact same way, but somehow you do it better.

Yeah my process so far, (from the Sample.mp3 posted) is as follows:

Normalize to 99%, Dynamic Processing (compression) with preset "Compander", and thats what I do to all the tracks excluding the instrumental/beat. Then I adjust volume levels so no clipping occurs. Then I mixdown (save wav), and Normalize to 70%, add "High Lift" equalization, and then "Compander" compression again, and finally normalize to 99%. Then save, and thats what I get.

I'm sure as time goes by, and I record more and more, my ears will catch on to doing things better. At the age of 15, I know I definitely have more to learn.... Yeah, I'm only 15. But dont get me wrong, I'm not just some stupid little kid going through a fad/trend and getting my kicks off of this. I actually am considering into looking into making a career out of this in the future. (College, and whatnot)

But thanks for critiquing my sample, and I will post future recordings in the MP3 Clinic section of this forum.

Thanks Again, I appreciate it alot!

Normalize to 99%, Dynamic Processing (compression) with preset "Compander", and thats what I do to all the tracks excluding the instrumental/beat. Then I adjust volume levels so no clipping occurs. Then I mixdown (save wav), and Normalize to 70%, add "High Lift" equalization, and then "Compander" compression again, and finally normalize to 99%. Then save, and thats what I get.

Is this fine, or am I ruining the vocals by doing all of this?

lowlow42 said:
Is this fine, or am I ruining the vocals by doing all of this?

Relax. You would have to go a long way to actually RUIN the vocals, and from what I heard, and I posted this before, you're on the right track.

ssscientsist's first rule of recording is --- if it sounds good, it is good.

I think you'd do yourself a favor by just sitting down and experimenting. Spend some some time trying out all kinds of different stuf . . . different settings. Listen to what it does to the sound, and, once applied, look at what it does to the wave form.

Right now, it seems like you're looking for someone else to give you some sort of cookie-cutter, step-by-step method. And unfortunately, it just doesn't quite work that way. There is a lot of art and intuition involved in this stuff. Approach it as if you were an artist, and have fun with it.

Back