Multi-Track Recording Question

mattsparks

Recording Idiot
Here's my problem...

I KNOW you can use a mixer and record multiple tracks at the same time. I just don't know how. I'm planning on buying a 24 Track mixer to use for recording and for a PA. I need to know how to run my sound threw my mixer and record to the computer. Do I need to buy more equipment?

For example I want to do this...

Drum Mics > Mixer > Computer

and get a single track for the snare, kick, over heads, etc.

Please! PLEASE! HELP!

Yes the mixer would be the first step.
The next step would be however many pre's you would need <based on how many channels you wanting simultaneously> Unless you were just going to use the pre's in the mixer.

Then the next crucial step would be the sound card or interface into the PC. You need a card that has more than just two <stereo> inputs.

Then your software.

Space

I asked some people at Musiciansfriend if I could use a mixer and run it into a recording console like a C-Port and still record multiple tracks at the same time and they said no... were they lying? I'm just not seeing how it's gonna work.

Yep, that's it.

What I don't understand is if a mixer has only say 2 outs, how can I send 8 different tracks out?

I'm close to understanding this, there's just something I'm not getting. I don't know what it is.

I get really confused when I'm trying to think about how the sound is going to be ran.

I use Sonar 2 if that helps any at all.

As well as the 2 main outs, most mixers have an aux bus which gives you another 2 outs. A lot of mixers will allow you to 'cheat' and use the inserts for additional outs.

For example my Yamaha MG12/4 has 2 main outs, 2 aux outs and 4 inserts giving me up to 8 outs should I require them.

Ok, so could I do this..

Snare in 1
Kick in 2
Tom in 3

ETC.

Then send the snare to an out than the kick to a different out? Get what I'm saying?

Hey man, sounds to me like what you need to look for is a console with buss outs as well as direct outs. Say the mackie 24x8 (if you're looking to spend that much/get a 24 channel console). You have 24 channels, 8 group outs (assign any channel/channels to any group out/group outs) and it also has 24 direct outs. So say you had drums set up on channels 1-7. You want kick on it's own track, snare on it's own track, and a stereo mix for the rest. You run the direct outs from the kick (channel 1) and the snare (channel 2) into inputs 1 and 2 on your sound card, then you assign channels 3-7 to buss outputs (tracks) 3-4 and send those to inputs 3-4 on your soundcard. You can also sometimes use insert sends for this, but it's more of a difficult process, and many times you can get consoles with direct outs just as easily as you can with inserts. So in short, keep these things in mind.
Look for a console with:
buss outs (as many as you think you'll need, most common is 8)
direct outs(preferably on every channel)
and if all else fails
inserts.
Hope this helps.
God Bless,
Bryan

Jesus Christ . . . .

Some guy shows up trying to suggest a 24-channel multiple-bus console. :D What the f _ _ _ ? ? ?

Look, just get a decent mixer -- I would recommend a Soundcraft or a Mackie, with as many inputs/channels as you need.

Then get a soundcard like the 1010LT. Or the C-port or whatever -- I happen to think the LT is a steal, but that's just me. :D

Each channel of your mixer will have inserts. Run a 1/4" out of those mixer inserts in the the inputs of whatever sound card / interface you wind up getting. And have at it. Run your kick in to channel one of the mixer > out of channel 1's insert > to your soundcard's channel one input. And so on for channels 2 and 3, etc. etc. etc.

I'm planning on buying a 24 Track mixer to use for recording and for a PA

that's what the guy said...just suggesting, chessrock. :)

Let the guy learn to crawl first before you have him running marathons, for cryin' out loud. :D :D The guy's looking at soundcards with 8 inputs and doesn't even know what the heck to do with those yet. :D

mattsparks said:
Ok, so could I do this..

Snare in 1
Kick in 2
Tom in 3

ETC.

Then send the snare to an out than the kick to a different out? Get what I'm saying?

Let's assume you have a soundcard that will accept 4 inputs. like a delta 44.

To do what you want, you would mic your snare into channel 1 of your mixer, your kick mic into channel 2, your tom mic into channel 3.
Connect the mains out of your mixer to the inputs 1 & 2 of the delta 44.
Connect the aux outs of your mixer to inputs 3 & 4 of the delta 44.

Now you pan channel 1 hard left and pan channel 2 hard right to get the snare and kick into ins 1 & 2 of the delta 44. Your recording software can assign these 2 input channels to 2 seperate tracks.
Likewise pan channel 3 hard left, (assign channels 3 & 4 to the aux bus on your mixer) to get your tom onto track 3 of the delta 44....

mattsparks said:
Here's my problem...

I KNOW you can use a mixer and record multiple tracks at the same time. I just don't know how. I'm planning on buying a 24 Track mixer to use for recording and for a PA. I need to know how to run my sound threw my mixer and record to the computer. Do I need to buy more equipment?

For example I want to do this...

Drum Mics > Mixer > Computer

and get a single track for the snare, kick, over heads, etc.

Please! PLEASE! HELP!

It sounds like you want to record 2 or more tracks of audio at the same time. There are two basic ways to go:

1. Get a multi track recorder
2. PC software based with multi-input hardware

The first is self contained. They usually include both a mixer and recording gear in one unit. Come in 4, 8, 16, and 24 track varieties with increasing $. You plug your mics in and start recording.

The second involves more stuff. One issue here is portability. Unless your drums and PC are near, it becomes harder. Assuming they are near, you can either plug mics into the multi-input PC hardware interface or use an external mixer and plug mixer output into PC.

Ed

I'd just like to add something to ed's post. He's right..BUT if you're going to go with option 2, you need to try and find a sound card with PREAMPS. or get yourself some outboard ones. Preamps are very important.

Back