Mics that would be good live and for recording

gospel

My gospel group is in the market to upgrade our mics. We currently use Shure SM58s. I will also be using the same mics for recording (we don't have the money to buy separate mics for stage and studio). What is a good choice that is not over $250 a piece?

roadkill we use pre-recorded soundtracks and we like to hear ourselves so the stage volume is pretty loud, but probably not near as loud as some other forms of music.

You can go with some better dynamics like the EV RE20 or the Senn 441. Some condensors would sound best but then you have to worry about feedback.

If you go with any condensors you would want some with a pretty tight pattern which pretty much eliminates most of the cheapies. Maybe some Oktavas (319?) with the changeable capsules would work well. I think the new Studio Projects B series has a multi pattern mic that might have a hyper cardoid pattern.

I strongly agree with Tex.

I did not mention the Sennheiser MD441U because of the cost.
It is an excellent stage AND studio mic.

It is very sturdy and well built. It's responce is very close to that of a small diaphram condensor and exceeding that of many brands. It will handle high SPL without flinching and you may customize the response with a HF attenuator and a five position bass roll-off.

I dare say it's the best dynamic mic on the market and has been for over three decades.

Back