Micing a sitar?

SMX_Dizzy

Well, there's a good chance around Xmas I'm going to buy a sitar. I've been fascinated with the sitar since maybe 6 years ago, and always wanted to have one. Before I chose to start playing drums about 5 years ago, we tried to find somewhere that rented sitars and had sitar teachers...but no such luck. Well I recently found somewhere that sells sitars, not authentic from India I'd imagine, but full and 3/4 scale sitars. I really want one, and just might buy one for Xmas.

But anyway, back to my question. How the heck would I might it? I will probably have these mics: MXL 604's, AKG D112, Shure SM57, Shure SM58, and either a CAD M179 or a Rode NT1A. Which would be best, and how would I go about micing it?

I don't know but

I would like to know where you can get a 3/4 size sitar?

Of your mics listed, I would assume the 604s. I suppose by some accident the Rode could sound good on it, though I wouldn't put any money on it.

I don't know anything about CADs really, so I can't say about that one.

D112 - no, 57 - probably not, 58 - even less likely.

If you've got 'em, try 'em. Doesn't hurt or cost anything to try.

Try one of the MSH mics. The price is right for experimentation.

I'll be interested in seeing the answers to this one.

Good luck and have fun.

Just go to Froogle and search for "sitar" and look between $200 and $250 and there are lots of 3/4 and 1/2 scale sitars.

Well since it's a stringed instrument I'd say whatever LDC mic you have then see if it sounds better in different polar patterns. Sounds like a cool thing to try. I've never miced one. Let us know

I have mic'd a sitar with a M/S setup and a 57 in the upper tomba, assuming you are buying a double tomba sitar. otherwise scrap the 57 and make sure you mic the thing in stereo.

:D

The 604s should work, I've had good results with MK-012s, which sound somewhat similar. Sitar is such a cool instrument!

Robert D said:
The 604s should work, I've had good results with MK-012s, which sound somewhat similar. Sitar is such a cool instrument!

I agree the Sitar is a great instrument. I have been playing Sitar for a while. I recorded using two large condenser mics and it was wonderful.

FajitaTone said:
I have mic'd a sitar with a M/S setup and a 57 in the upper tomba, assuming you are buying a double tomba sitar. otherwise scrap the 57 and make sure you mic the thing in stereo.

:D
Yea that's what I'm debating right now, what kind of sitar to get: 3/4 scale single toomba, full scale single toomba, and full scale double toomba. I just can't decide, but I think I'll definitely get a full scale if possible.

I was actually thinking micing it in stereo with the 604's would sound like a good idea, but I thought maybe the 57 would be a good thing to try at the base. Like someone else said, I might as well experiment. I just wanted to know how people have mic'd their sitars before.

Interesting, I was planning to record a Sitar sample library in the comming weeks, so I'm excited to see what ideas spring from this topic :)

Halion said:
Interesting, I was planning to record a Sitar sample library in the comming weeks, so I'm excited to see what ideas spring from this topic :)

That should be a daunting task.

I've used a single SDC with good results. the only issue was the noise floor, but I had really crappy preamps at the time. sitars don't put out that much volume. when I saw ravi shankar they had everything miced with sm81s. sounded badass.

Robert D said:
That should be a daunting task.
Yes, since I also want to record bends for at least some notes (a sitar isn't worth much if you can't bend some notes ;)) but I've got the time, the resources, and tons of people willing to help me, so I'm not afraid.

I recently sold my sitar. Have made many recordings over the years (35+). Because they (sitars) are a relatively quiet instrument, you need to be extra careful setting your gain structure. I started recording sitar with dynamic mikes, but I had to crank up too much gain - I switched to small diaphragm condensers for two reasons; 1) they (SDC) are basically omni so you get room tone even when close miking, and 2) they (SDC) are usually high output and low self noise so you can be conservative with the gain structure.
The last recording I made, about six months ago, I used ribbon mikes. The sound was incredible! Yes, I know, I just told you to watch the gain structure, but the newer ribbons, even the chinese ribbons are very clean and quiet. You need to back off the instrument about a foot and a half or so, and be quiet in the room, but ribbon is the way to go.
Good luck, let's hear some out takes.

Pastor Al said:
I recently sold my sitar. Have made many recordings over the years (35+). Because they (sitars) are a relatively quiet instrument, you need to be extra careful setting your gain structure. I started recording sitar with dynamic mikes, but I had to crank up too much gain - I switched to small diaphragm condensers for two reasons; 1) they (SDC) are basically omni so you get room tone even when close miking, and 2) they (SDC) are usually high output and low self noise so you can be conservative with the gain structure.
The last recording I made, about six months ago, I used ribbon mikes. The sound was incredible! Yes, I know, I just told you to watch the gain structure, but the newer ribbons, even the chinese ribbons are very clean and quiet. You need to back off the instrument about a foot and a half or so, and be quiet in the room, but ribbon is the way to go.
Good luck, let's hear some out takes.

All right, good to know, thanks :)

Back