Micing drums.

Greykitkat36

Micing overhead drums with one mic. Would it be better to put the mic overhead in front of the kit, or over the drummer's shoulder?

if you ever get the chance.

have the drummer wear a vest with a couple of mics
sewn in . its an old trick. but you have to make it so the
body moves and no "rustling" noise pick up.
for one mic. try centre just above drummers head.
try different distances from toms. try also in front of the kit in a good sounding room.

Try putting it directly over the snare pointed more at the tome, about two drums sticks length high measured fron the center of the snare. I like this position with a stereo X-Y pair too.

Some of these suggestions are good places to start. You will then need to experiment from there. If you are just using one mic, you will probably be placing it at least 3-4 feet outside the kit and possibly 10 feet or more, to capture a balance of the whole kit. You might try having the drummer play and with one ear covered, move around the room, above drummer, in front of kit etc. to find a place that sounds like what you are hoping to pick up. From there, record a 15 sec or so piece with the drummer playing pretty much the whole kit. (toms, cymbals, kick, snare, hat etc) and then move and angle the mic until you are happy with the results.

try to find a stereo mic, dunno what theyre called, like the crazy looking ones, and place it so they act like the drummers ears. that works sometimes for classical guitar, never tried drums tho

Greykitkat36 said:
Micing overhead drums with one mic. Would it be better to put the mic overhead in front of the kit, or over the drummer's shoulder?

I would agree with the fact that the placement of your mic is solely dependent on the factors that are unique to your recording environment. This will require trial and error.

But i would have to say. If you are only using one mic,..I'm assuming youre budget is about as big as mine is. But man,...go and get even the cheapest of mics to get a stereo O.V. It will be better than the one mic method,..I gaurantee. Unless your "one mic" is a Neuman or something.

Anyway,...thats my perspective.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

for anyone interested ive wriiten several articles in the newbies section. including micing technoques on different tracks like vocal, drums, etc thru to choirs and orchestras.
peace all.

manning1 said:
for anyone interested ive wriiten several articles in the newbies section. including micing technoques on different tracks like vocal, drums, etc thru to choirs and orchestras.
peace all.
Nope.

Back