Making a Farfisa organ sound like a HUGE cathedral pipe organ

gilwe

My Farfisa Lido has a very good pipe organ sound.
I'm currently working on a song which is gonna be based on that organ, and trying to make it sound like a BIG and full sounding cathedral organ, as if it was recorded on a real pipe organ actually !

I first tried to layer a few similiar organ tracks in stereo, trying to make the sound big, but didn't really get the desired result.

How do you think this can be achieved ?

Impossible, a big pipe organ's lowest tone is about 16 hz

It's highest frequencie is above 100khz, no you can't hear this, but it adds something to the tone.

Im probably all wrong, but from what I may surmise, the reason an organ sounds the way it does in a cathedral is because of all the reflections off the hard, and very separated walls. So, what I might say would be to try and play the part in a very large and live room, like a gymnasium or other large area. Then work on distant micing, maybe two mics in an XY pattern or separtely spaced. After that you would probably want to add tons of reverb. Im just assuming that you would be playing out of an amp. I've never done this before, so I can only say what I might try to do. Also, check the sticky mic thread in the mic forum, I believe someone asked harvey about micing an organ. Hope this helps.
-Mike

Back