Making a "Better" recording with a Tascam 388

jrdamien

As I've been debating what format to record my next album on and have been listening to various formats I maybe could acquire, I'm realizing that I'll likely be using my 388. The difference between it and, say, a 1/2" or 1" machine at 15 ips is only marginally better for what I want to do and doesn't warrant getting into new old gear and tape decks and everything that goes with it.

So as many of you know I recorded this last year: Crooked Saws (please get a free copy at Crooked Saws) using the 388 and 2 mics. The drum mic was a sm57 clone and the guitar was an MXL R144 ribbon.

I want to step it up. Likely 3 mic on the drums, several different amps - still very raw but a 'little' more refined.

Can anyone recommend preamps and comps or work flows they've used that would take it to the next level w/ the 388?

I think people haven't commented because most people around these parts (myself included) are recording with computers and DAW's (as opposed to all-in-ones like your tascam).

That being said, I checked out your previous recording and thats pretty impressive. Not the fidelity, but the vibe was perfect. I listened to a few tracks and I really dug low. I immediately started feeling swampy, and I could taste the jack daniels in my mouth.

(that's my way of trying to compliment you guys haha)

With my 388, I use a Audix F-15 with a Studio Projects VTM-1 pre for my acoustic. Active DI box for the bass, Behringer Composer Pro to gate the noisy analogue Wurlitzer synth, and I use an old Sennheiser M818 on my guitar cab and buffer the input with an Alesis 3630 comp using the insert points for that channel. Drums are a Roland TD-5 triggered via MIDI using the synth.Most comp is program application, where I use a BBE MaxCom. I chose to utilise the board parametric EQ to null troublesome freqs for each channel. The link below is the result of my labour.

http://www.youlicense.com/SongDetails.aspx?ID=294383

Last edited:
Back