Long guitar cables!

ecktronic

Mixing and Mastering.
Is a 20ft guitar cable ($30 roughly) going to kill alot of the high end when recording guitar?

Do XLR cables conribute to loss in high end in the same way that guitar cables do?

#1:Not a lot. 25 or 30 feet might but I don't use that length. I would say it would be a slight difference. YMMV

#2: Not at all. Instrument cable is high impedence, mic cable is low. Different animal.

I have always considered this (something I read somewhere) when selecting cables for recording:

Don't use cables that are longer than you actually need.

Cheers all. Its just that i want the guitarists to be in the control room rather than in the recording room. It just makes things easier like comunicating without talk back and clean monitor mixes etc.
I heard that sitting next to the amp while playing guitar gives nice overtones and feedback that you dont get unless the guitar is next toe the amp. Has anyone ever noticed a difference when recording heavy distorted guitars?

ecktronic said:
I heard that sitting next to the amp while playing guitar gives nice overtones and feedback that you dont get unless the guitar is next toe the amp. Has anyone ever noticed a difference when recording heavy distorted guitars?
Yes, and a lot of guitarists will not only want those tones there, but will actually use them and control them during the song. For an example, listen to "Say it ain't so" by Weezer (from the Blue Album). Right as it's transitioning from the clean and quiet verses to the heavily distorted choruses, you'll hear this increasing sqeal sound right up until they hit the chord. That's harmonic feedback between the guitar and amp that increases as they turn up the volume control on their guitars. The song wouldn't sound anywhere near as raw and powerful without it.

I tend to agree there--where I really noticed it was in re-amping guitar tracked clean back through an amp. You lose a lot of the sustain you'd normally have. I'd say go ahead and try it out; but if the player notices a difference in his normal tone or sound, you might need to move him back in with the amp and play through some headphones.

sile2001 said:
Yes, and a lot of guitarists will not only want those tones there, but will actually use them and control them during the song. For an example, listen to "Say it ain't so" by Weezer (from the Blue Album). Right as it's transitioning from the clean and quiet verses to the heavily distorted choruses, you'll hear this increasing sqeal sound right up until they hit the chord. That's harmonic feedback between the guitar and amp that increases as they turn up the volume control on their guitars. The song wouldn't sound anywhere near as raw and powerful without it.

I wasnt really meaning feedback in that sense. I kinda meant extra colour of tone while actually struming or picking if you know what i mean, i think i mean sustain also. :confused:
Because overdubbs are usefull for those things so as to get the feedback sounding just right.
Ta all. think ill experiment with both ways.

Back