Logic vs GarageBand

fuquam

or Garageband vs Logic. I record real instruments. I never use synthetic drums, loops, rarely even midi. I've gotten some good results from Garageband. Can someone give me a good reason to upgrade to Logic or even Logic Express?

erm...

you've kinda answered your own question in a way.

If you're happy with the results you're getting in garageband then stick with it. If you'd like to really enter a whole new level of production, and, i might add, fun, then get logic. The possibilities are endless.

Yeah but why? I'm hoping to hear from someone who uses Logic and/or has used GarageBand and can tell me some of the perks. Things that Logic can do that I can not do in GarageBand. Are the built in plug ins worth the extra $1000 I'd spend on Logic (GarageBand was free)? What does Logic Express have that GarageBand doesn't?

hows about the 24 bit recorduing capability for starters?
vs GB's 16bit. MIDI editing would be lot easier too. GB MIDi editing is a PITA, plus you can't export etc etc.

Logic vs Garageband

Now you're talkin'. I wasn't aware that GB used only 16bit but that makes sense. 24bit would certainly help in the signal to noise ratio. My MOTU and soundboard could handle it. Does this effect export as well I wonder? What does "MIDi editting is a PITA" mean?

I don't specifically use LE, but from what I have read, its pretty much a light version of Logic, so I'm sure its has the capabilities of most DAW MIDI editing. Use of CC messages etc. for starters. GB only gives you a couple editing messages. if you require that stuff in MIDI. Just trying to edit a bar of data can take quite a while. Plus the audio side of LE would be alot more advanced.
GB is generally ok, for a quick composition tool, with some nifty VI instruments to wet your pallet of the softsynth world if you choose to go there. The export import capabilities are just limiting, but hey not bad for a free app. After all it is a stolen(or should I say ported) code of ACID.
T

Logic vs Garageband

So advantages to 16 bit over 24 bit?
What does Logic Pro have that Logic Express doesn't?
Does Logic require any specific hardware like Pro Tools does?
Activation key, Dongle?

I use Logic Platinum 6.3 and love it - it's really powerful. But if you aren't finding that Garage Band is limiting you in some way - why not stick with what works? Plus, Logic has a very steep learning curve.

Thats why I don't use it :D well thats what i hear, but its fugly too :p
Did the GUI get any better since Apple took over?
T

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/comparison.html
for a full comparison of logic express to logic pro. mainly ur gonna get more plugins + virtual instruments w/ logic pro. more mixing and mastering plugins specifically.

and just for the record, logic has probably one of the steepest learning curves (just go to ur local apple store and try using logic or logic express, i gaurentee u wont even be able to get a au loaded to mess around w/ its midi capabilities).

as far as features of logic express/pro vs garageband is gonna be ur import export capabilities and extra plugins/instruments. mainly more mixing/mastering stuff and midi stuff. honestly u probably dont need to upgrade. once u find u cant do what u want to do as far as a recording goes with garageband, then thats when u should upgrade to logic. otherwise, just keep it crackin w/ garageband (which is btw probably one of the best 'free' sequencers out there).

o and also, when someone says that "MIDi editting is a PITA", that means midi editting is a pain in the 'motha **$@$*in' @*$. which it is. lol. i dunno if uve ever tried to do anything w/ midi, but its SOOO difficult. but honestly if ur only doing audio recordings, u dont really need to upgrade to logic because its BIGGEST advantage is its midi editing capabilities (which isnt even the best IMO) and mixing/mastering capabilities. i personally use cubase which i like better cuz i needed a hybrid sequencer. ;o

Back