line level, signal-to-noise, volume...

ok, so after reading a million times about line level, faders to zero, signal to noise ratio, etc, i decided that my sound would get much better if i set things up properly. here's the deal: my akai dps12 has a gain knob for each input, marked "line" at lowest level, "mic" at highest. for years i've just used them as volume knobs (usually around the halfway mark), and today i turned the 2 inputs on the akai for my submixed drums all the way down (to "line" level). then i readjusted my mixer faders, decibel for decibel, so that the highest level is at zero. i'm running stereo channels out of the "control room" outputs on the mixer into the 2 panned inputs on the akai. i set my master volume faders (on the mixer) to zero, and then turned up the "control room" volume knob up until i was just shy of clipping my 12-track inputs. now, this should give me optimum signal-to-noise ratio, right? except the recording level is vastly LOWER now, and all my meters (on the recorder and mixer) are at the same level as before--just below clip! should i return to my previous setup? or should i rely more heavily on the mixer's built-in preamps' gain rather than the "control room" volume? i thought about going ahead and trying that, but if it won't help me, i don't want to get so far away from my original setup that i can't find my way back again. and while i'm on the subject, why is it that my mixer manual calls the pre volume knob a "gain" knob, but on the mixer itself it's marked "trim"? it seems that the more i learn, the dumber i get. it also seems that every time i'm content enough with my sound to leave it alone for a few weeks, i screw it all up by thinking it could be better if i only do this! or this! or this! crap!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I set my main out level faders to "0".

I use the trim (or gain)(or sensitivity) to make sure I have a good signal entering the mixer without clipping.

I then use the channel fader to make sure the recording software is getting a good signal.

I adjust control room levels to taste.

Why are you using the Control Room outputs? You should use the main outs.

1. Set your mic trim so the level is around 0 on the meter.
2. Set your faders to 0 or wherever they need to be for the submix.
2. Set the master fader to 0.
3. Adjust the soundcard input for the right recording level.

TexRoadkill said:
Why are you using the Control Room outputs? You should use the main outs.

1. Set your mic trim so the level is around 0 on the meter.
2. Set your faders to 0 or wherever they need to be for the submix.
2. Set the master fader to 0.
3. Adjust the soundcard input for the right recording level.

thanks for the input, both of you. my question concerning the post quoted above is: i'm not recording to a computer, but to a stand-alone 12-track digital recorder. i understand that for practical intents and purposes, they're the same thing--but i'm wondering if soundcard input level is the same as the gain on my digital inputs? after all, my understanding is that preamps are supposed to bring mic level up to line level, and it would seem, from the labeling on my 12-track that the lowest gain setting on its inputs are inteneded to receive line level. it was only when my mixer channels (individual and main) were just short of clipping, and my main outs were at zero, and i still couldn't get my 12-track inputs (with the gain set to "line") to receive a loud enough signal, that i used the control room outs instead of the main outs. that was because i thought the 12-track gain should be at its lowest (marked line), and the control room outs gave me a separate volume knob, pre-hard disk, to raise the volume. so, did i have the right setup to begin with, by adjusting my 12-track input gain knobs to get that additional volume? am i making this harder than it is? should i just be more willing to accept my limitations? am i destined to use compression, eq, and/or normalization to raise the level to even somewhat compete with the volume of professional releases? should i even care??? eff!
again, though--thank you. i need voices of sanity to keep me grounded...all additional comments and suggestions are desperately welcome!

drossfile said:
it seems that the more i learn, the dumber i get. it also seems that every time i'm content enough with my sound to leave it alone for a few weeks, i screw it all up by thinking it could be better if i only do this! or this! or this! crap!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

The best way to learn is to make mistakes. Gain structure is very important. Volume is not. Save volume for mastering. Keep experimenting with proper gain structure. :cool:

Back