just vocal and guitar...how do i make it nice?

Robertt8

Okay...I've been trying to get a nice full sound out of just one acoustic guitar (big baby taylor) and one vocal. What are some good ways to do this without using a bunch of effects?

I'm thinking, sound wise, like Dashboard Confessional, Jack Johnson or Ben Harper. They've all got songs that do this and sound really nice and use very few if any noticeable effects.

I've got 2 shure57 (I think that's what they are), 1 MXL 990, and 1 Studio Projects B1 (I'd have more, but I'm broke now)...oh, and I'm recording on to a Roland VS-880EX which has some nice effects, but they're all really drastic...nothing subtle. I've got 8 tracks. to work with, so that's not a problem.

should I double mic the guitar and pan both? Any info would be nice.

Also, would a "acoustic guitar mic" better for the acoustic? And if so, why is that so?

Thanks!

I would use an SM57 on the guitar, with the B1 a little closer (near the 12th fret). This gives you two signals to blend. I'd then double this up and pan them until they sound smooth. Then as for the vocals just record them seperatly, one at a time.

If you want effects, a little reverb and compression maybe on the guitar should smooth it out a little.

This is how I record my acoustic stuff, and I'm happy with what I get.

Good luck!

Hey thanks...I just realized that I've got a Shure SM58 (two actually), but it seems to distort easily as opposed to my condensor mices...would you still use this for the guitar and why?...just to get a couple differnt sounds?

I would prob try both your condensors on ac git first (but dont rule out the sm57, they may or may not give you what you want)...experiment with placement til you get what you want.

then try which mic sounds better on your voice and use that one for recording it.
No Reverb on vocals if youre going for the ben harper sound! and be close to the mic. Use a popfilter, and watch the proximity. etc etc-.. :)

I would also suggest using the 2 condensers. But try the 58 too. One pointed at the lower bout near the bridge, about 12 inches away, and the other pointing at the 12th fret or so. Watch out for phase issues. I had my first problem with phase with this technique. Play with the mic position. Also, if you try the 58, likely use it on the lower bout, as I find them to be pretty direct and somewhat dark. The condenser on the strings will give more articulation.

Also, do you have a pick up in the guitar? I often use it too, getting 3 sounds to mix. Alone it is fairly quacky but together it seems to add some definition.

As for vocals, I like a bit of dirt on my vocals, somewhat compresses the sound too. I hav used everything from plug-in amp sims to a maxon OD. Also, try some harmonies, or double tracked vocals in a different style (screaming, whispering, different tonality). Mixing these in, at barely audible levels can go along way, and be quite subtle.

Adam

BTW, I have a song recorded with these methods http://adamrose.iuma.com. It is "Acoustic-Closer". As I mentioned I had some phase problems which I somewhat corrected by moving one clip ahead in time slightly. I may retrack it, but I wanted to but this together quickly. It isn't the greatest singing performance either, hopefullly you will get the idea.

Your probably not going to get 'big and full' out of a Big Baby. They are cool guitars but you will most likely get 'clear and crisp'. If it is too harsh then use the dynamic mics. You could try recording it close to a wall or in a corner and play with that to see if it gives you a bit more low end and body but be carefull that it doesn't just get boomy and midrangy.

I have a friend with a big baby and it's a great little guitar but if you really want a big full sound for solo guitar you need a regular Taylor, Larivee or Martin. The Big Baby is probably better suited for rythm guitar and backing tracks because it won't overwhelm the other instruments.

One HUGE factor in the sound of someone like Ben Harper, who can sound awesome with very few effects, is the ROOM. If you're recordeing in a basement with a low ceiling, you can use any mic you want and you will still hear something missing. In my opinion this one of the biggest differentiators between the "big time sound" and the "little guys".

Given that, I'd try the condensors on the acoustic and the SM58 on vocals. I'm a fan of stereo mic'ing acoustic guitars on songs that are sparse. Put one mic on the fingerboard and the other on the body and pan them L & R, and vocals down the center.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Back