Interface Comparison

Zonzie

Alright Fella's, i put a post in the NEWBS section, and received a good bit of info from a few fella's already (great forum and great advice here) but thought i'd post my last reply as i'm nearly there with my choice, just wondering if anyone can possiby sway my decision. All bases have been covered so far in terms of eqiupment being used, expectations, needs, and computer capability, so narrowed it down to these 2:

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB 2.0 and

Tascam US 1641

And here is my last post from the thread i posted#

"Its only really the USB 2.0 i'm lookin at but at least i now know what to look for so nice one.

Anyway, did a bit of digging, looked at the M Audio Fast Track specs (this may be helpful to others too)

On the specs it says that it has the M Audio Octane pre amps, which upon further inspection (it doesnt list the db on the specs of the product itself, had to google M Audio Octane) seem to be at 50db. Elsewhere, in a review, someone reported 60db So, this seems not to match what you consider to be good enough, but also, it has a 20 db pad. I'm assuming you can raise it to 70 - 80db with this?

SNR is -103db

Has Phantom power

24 bit/96KHZ

Relating to this comment "Having a unit that boasts 24 bit is not that meaningful if the dynamic range specs of the unit are down below 100db (barely above 16 bit spec of 96 db)" - does this refer to the SNR (103db) or the pre-amp db? (50db, 20db pad)?

also, i cant for the life of me find the rpm of my computer, all the specs i posted above in reply to Supercreep is whats in my system properties in my control panel, doesnt have the RPM. Looked on the net but so many versions of my Acer 7730 i'm unsure, dont think they're too shoddy but i'd like to know.

The Tascam 1641 on the other hand:

Pre-amps - from -2dBu to -58dBu for the eight XLRs and from +4dBu to -42dBu for the jacks

Has Phantom power

SNR not listed

24bit/96khz

So, i'm nearly there. From the reviews, the Tascam seems a bit better due to amount of inputs and ease of access, but people have had probs with Vista, and the Cubase it comes with. The people on the reaper forum have reported probs using it with reaper too.

The M Audio comes with shitter software (Ableton) and so some more will have to be bought or *ahem* acquired. Not sure of its compatibility with reaper. But seems more compatible with drivers hmmmm

Anyone want to throw their tuppence worth in? Make my mind up for me before i journey into the unknown?"

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts that could possibly sway my decision?

Thanks!

Calm down fella, Its not like i'm spamming, the reason i did it is because its more apt in this category, and i could get a bit more information by asking in the right places

No...no...

You're doing it wrong.

You already posted in the Newbies section, which is a subsection of the same forum that everyone here watches. You won't get more answers, you'll just irritate people by spamming the boards. And probably bug the moderators too...

If you aren't getting any more answers it's because...all the answers have been given 9you admited it was great advice), or because people are frustrated at having to do your research for you. There's literally hundreds of sites that give reviews of gear, including the pieces you're talking about.

Wow seem to have touched a nerve there, hope my future posts dont irritate as much as this one seems to have, would be a shame as i like this forum. Really didnt think that trying to put something in the right place, both in terms of my benefit and for others (i shared some of my own knowledge too) would annoy people so much. I see posts from people all the time that match your criteria in regards to lack of research and laziness, and i sympathise with how you might get a little annoyed by them. Having read the boards for quite a while i also cringe when i see them. However i really dont feel i fit into that category. I've been researching for months, both with books, online reviews, and reading this forum, and i started from scratch. I've refined my criteria to the best of my ability for this reason, i.e. i didnt want to come on and say 'errrr...wanna get into home recording...can you find me an interface?'
My post was not one of 'them.' I've done my research and wanted some final opinions from where i consider to be a great source of knowledge before i part with a lot of cash i've saved up for a while. A few people have been really helpful, i took that on board and done some further research which i then gave back to the forum, should any people be in my position in the future.
I do take your point, i didnt realise the subsections were read so thoroughly - my genuine apologies - but please accept mine before you label me a 'spammer,' and others tag me with the laughable 'infamous' red bars. Is this the common attitude towards all newbies who make a preliminary error?

Back