Improving the sound of vocals (sounding more like radio bands)

PFDarkside

On the track my band recorded, the vocals sound like they are not a part of the mix. Other than backing them off and encouraging the singer to stay in tune ;) what else can be done?

We will be recording this week at my house and I'd like to be able to have his vocals blend really well like "professional" mixes do.

The track is at www.mp3.com/GN

i might be able to help/

Ive had this exact same problem.
The vocals "stand out" wayyy too much.

The main problem is that there seems to be too much mid tone. Its way to sharp and overpowers everything else.

The vocal level is a bit too hi.

Apply compression to help with the bursts of volume,

And last but NOT least, add some reverb. That is the #1 best way to help it settle in better.

And one last comment, The song itself is good. Not 100% my taste, but good. The solo is very good. But the rythm git was very distracting. It sounds like it was heavily EQ'd. The life is sucked out of it and its much to harsh. Too much presence.

And personally I beleive drums would really help. But thats just me. I generally dont like any songs without drums.

Good tune tho.

Anyone else have any tips. Because, I still havent gotten it 100% right for my own stuff.

oh yeah,,., bring up the bass some. Its not apparent enough. It will help settle the vox in as well.

Thanks for the comments. Let's see...

I played rhythm, lead and bass for the track, since we wrote it and recorded it that night. It was done on a cheap 4 track and I really had no idea how the mix would turn out. SO:
When we record for real, we have a solid drummer, that should help the overall track, I'll be able to mix the bass higher, and I can take the time to select a better guitar sound (Line 6 amp).

So, I'll try placing the vocal lower in the mix, try reducing mids with a para-EQ, and add reverb to smooth it out. THanks for the comments again (Especially the solo :D) I'll probably be posting again once we have some full songs done.

Back